Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... or Liquid Swords?

• Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Liquid Swords

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

sadmanbarty

I have to abstain. while I bought both when they came out, I'm not qualified to weigh in beyond a gut feel of a vague distant memory of what they sounded like. loved 'em both at the time, IIRC. I recall "swords" sounding different/weirder for the time, and for that reason was liked more by the indie rock/student contingent, while "linx" was preferred by the heads.

that delineation was implicit in the concept of the thread. its what luke was talking about with sheeps and goats.

actually liquid swords vs cuban linx is probably a good determinant of whether someone opts for blade runner jungle or not.

Leo

reminds me a bit of a conversation I once had with the owner of jammyland, a long-gone reggae store in NYC. he said the vast majority of people who bought his crazy weird dub records were nerdy white dudes. hardly any of the Jamaicans who shopped there cared about that stuff, they mostly bought the slick commercial reggae records.

craner

Beast of Burden
my only contributions to this is hearing Ice Water after i tripped on shrooms for the first time made it sound like a whole new song and i felt like i was the black jesus

and the swordsman beat bangs thats the hidden jewel on Liquid Swords far as im concerned

I love Swordsman too. Very murky.

sadmanbarty

reminds me a bit of a conversation I once had with the owner of jammyland, a long-gone reggae store in NYC. he said the vast majority of people who bought his crazy weird dub records were nerdy white dudes. hardly any of the Jamaicans who shopped there cared about that stuff, they mostly bought the slick commercial reggae records.

I wonder if that’s actually a recurring phenomenon. The increasingly esoteric jazz of the 60’s for example.

Leo

Leo is far too cool for this shit thread.

ha...not sure I'm anyone's idea of cool.

was never so hugely into rap/hiphop that I feel I can provide a valid opinion. not that that criteria has prevented me from commenting in the past, just don't want to embarrass myself in front of all the experts here.

luka

In years and years of listening to the pirate reggae 'community' stations of London I never once heard a dub record. Never ever ever.

sadmanbarty

In years and years of listening to the pirate reggae 'community' stations of London I never once heard a dub record. Never ever ever.

80% of the dissensus canon is nerdy white guys misrecognition of what constitutes populist black music.

luka

That and a fixation with attachment to yesterday's radicalism (which is always today's conservatism)

Leo

80% of the dissensus canon is nerdy white guys misrecognition of what constitutes populist black music.

not just dissensus...probably also applies to pitchfork readers/writers, sounds of the universe shoppers, etc.

wonder why that is? if we were, consciously or not, trying to connect with populist black music, why do we veer off away from what it really constitutes. is it the crate digger/record collector geek mindset of having to go for the obscure, the residual rockist mentality?

sadmanbarty

That and a fixation with attachment to yesterday's radicalism (which is always today's conservatism)

you and/or si said last week that white guys who devoutly love black music always stick to one specific era and then scorn everything that comes after it.
i know you've got a friend who loves 90's east coast rap and hates everything that comes after it.

there's the whole soul boy thing which is the same.

luka

not just dissensus...probably applies to pitchfork readers/writers, sounds of the universe shoppers, etc.

wonder why that is? if we were, consciously or not, trying to connect with populist black music, why do we veer off away from what it really constitutes. is it the crate digger/record collector geek mindset of having to go for the obscure, the residual rockist mentality?

Good question.

sadmanbarty

not just dissensus...probably also applies to pitchfork readers/writers, sounds of the universe shoppers, etc.

part of it's trying to reconcile a white projection of what 'blackenss' is (luke refers to it as "blues people") with the fact that black people are actually just normal human beings.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I don't think this applies so much anymore—populism is where the nerdiest music nerds end up (or a mixture of populism and niche stuff).

I wonder if a reason for this is the internet destroying the underground—in that everything is now visible, there's no real underground to cheer for. You don't get nerd points for knowing about obscure artists. You get nerd points for being able to assimilate what's most popular into your nerd vision.

version

Yeah, I'm not so sure. A lot of the stuff discussed on here is the populist stuff e.g. Keef, Young Thug, Migos etc. We talk about that stuff a lot more than we do Wu-Tang or whatever.