Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... or Liquid Swords?

• Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Liquid Swords

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The instrumentals. Theyre both a bit dull. Nearly everything else is super emo.

Ah so you mean the other instrumentals are interesting as instrumentals.

I can accept that. I don't generally listen to instrumentals for rap songs but I can see that RZA might make ones that stand up on their own.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The strings on Knowledge God are so eerie. A black and white film on a Saturday afternoon gone wrong.

To me the most thrilling bit on the whole album is the transition from the strings to the piano loop at the beginning. All these voices clamoring, the beat that threatens to start and then doesn't, and then the strings disappear (the first time I listened, totally unexpectedly) - it always amazes me cos the strings alone would be enough for many producers to make a whole instrumental from, but for RZA that's not enough.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I can't really remember what was contemporary at the time but wasn't their style pretty bloody weird compared to their peers? I'm listening to it now and it's so dense. Side effect of the speed but it doesn't feel fast.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Hit a store owner named Mike Lavonia"

This brings me to another brilliant thing about OB4CL is the (mythical?) vision of New York it conjures up.

I saw 'Uncut Gems' last night and as different as that NYC is from OB4CL NYC, there's a connection there - people shouting at each other, high-octane, anxious energy, but with this romanticism in there too.

Have we talked about how OB4CL birthed (or didn't birth, maybe someone will correct me here) the Mafiosi rap thing?

kumar

Lool I was about to say Cuban Linx wins it for the “don rodriguez from the bronx” interlude then looked it up and it’s from killa hills . Apparently mr greico is played by famous chef skiz fernando aka spectre

version

This brings me to another brilliant thing about OB4CL is the (mythical?) vision of New York it conjures up.

I saw 'Uncut Gems' last night and as different as that NYC is from OB4CL NYC, there's a connection there - people shouting at each other, high-octane, anxious energy, but with this romanticism in there too.

Have we talked about how OB4CL birthed (or didn't birth, maybe someone will correct me here) the Mafiosi rap thing?

What did you think of Uncut Gems in general?

kumar

Yeah I was thinking specifically about that with the don Rodriguez bit, conjures a kind of bumbling awkward likely to be fobbed off with a fake Rolex sort of character

kumar

What did you think of Uncut Gems in general?

It really worked for me I was gripped but one really annoying part was this bloke right behind me who kept laughing deliberately loud at any slightly funny bit to let his date know how above it all he was. Laughing especially at any of the sex parts because of how much better at sex he is than fat adam sandler fucking idiot .