Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... or Liquid Swords?

• Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Liquid Swords

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

sadmanbarty

trickier to pick the cuban linx ones. stuff that doesn't work as well in isolation is elevated by where it fits in with the flow of the album as a whole.

version

That run from Knowledge God to Incarcerated Scarfaces is like that. Also Ice Water and Glaciers of Ice next to each other.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
no surprise, Liquid Swords 1000% now and forever

my favorite rap record of all time. a (virtually) perfect record that has the almost singular virtue of sounding just as good no matter how many times you go back to it.

"It was a bad time for the empire"

padraig (u.s.)

when the MC's came, to live out the name

I drop megaton bombs more faster than you blink

but when I swing my sword they all choppable

lines etched into the depths of my psyche

padraig (u.s.)

the production is dense and cold as a dead star

GZA an essentially perfect rapper at the absolute height of his very considerable powers

he and RZA somehow manage to fuse raw ragged tension to clinical, precise execution

it's not the most fun record, but the most rewarding, which says something about the kinds of people who'd choose it, I guess

padraig (u.s.)

btw totally unsurprised/very much enjoy that Craner's answer was to reject the premise of the question and bring up Heavy Mental instead

a completely insane opinion of course, but it's nice to know that even in a world of turmoil, some things never change

luka

trickier to pick the cuban linx ones. stuff that doesn't work as well in isolation is elevated by where it fits in with the flow of the album as a whole.

I was going to say, the tracks which don't work so well as standalones add a huge amount to the album as a whole. I'm a bit unsure about picking ice cream. I probably prefer the ghostface solo one. The romantic love song.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
btw totally unsurprised/very much enjoy that Craner's answer was to reject the premise of the question and bring up Heavy Mental instead
"Choose the sword, and you will join me.
Choose the ball, and you join your mother, in death."
"Actually, Heavy Mental is better than either..."