MJ vs. Prince

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

version

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v41/n12/ian-penman/the-question-of-u

Great choice of epigraphs:

"Assiduously and without much constraint, he conditioned his personality, making it as impenetrable and resourceful, as submissive and difficult, as it had to be for the sake of his mission."

-- Walter Benjamin, ‘On the Image of Proust’

"To create in myself a nation with its own politics, parties and revolutions, and to be all of it, everything, to be God in the real pantheism of this people-I."

-- Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet

"It is the first or Christian name that counts, that is what makes one be as they are."

-- Gertrude Stein, writing about Ulysses S. Grant

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
the label told him there's no way it would work because it has no bass

you have to wonder how different things would be if more people were given artistic freedom throughout the last 70 odd years

sufi

lala
Prince could only ever exist in space not already occupied by Michael, in some ways an anti-michael. Michael so stifled and uptight - insinuating through the medium of zombies, bad when we all knew he was good (except he turned out to be bad), Prince gleefully sleazy and transmitting direct style and wierdness

I was a small-ish kid whan thriller and billie jean came out = i learnt them and about them from other kids. they were released with these amazing videos and there had been nothing like them before - kids acted out the moves because there was no way to actually watch the video on tv or anywhere. i don't think i even knew mj was black, but his whole teen horror image was clearly inappropriate for little lads like me and woebot and so was irresistable.

mj was part of the top echelon of pop stardom with queen, the sex pistols, abba. massive like a geographical feature

but tbh and i'm sad to say it there was nothing that wasnt disappointing after that first explosion, though there's no denying that when he died it was a global fiesta like only lady di
04e833_2cd103a972924980ab90c43647be2ac9.jpg
2eb7c57b1272d1301ed7e3ffd41c6510.jpg
mj was inside the machine, he worked hard because he knew no other way, prince strove and achieved glory thru sheer napoleonic determination

Occupying a spot on the next level of the kid pop astral firmament, and arriving in next Smash Hits magazine historical era, right alongside Madonna in the pantheon, was Prince - everything Michael couldnt express, resplendent. Michael was distant, Prince was a more immediate, raw, and spontaneous, controversial even!

He also showed up with a 1-2 of proper BBC Top of the Pops hits, but crucially his albums were brilliant and fit onto cassettes - i had one which would have contained 2 Prince albums, whereas i don't think i ever went out of my way to bootleg mj - he was always just there

Michael is a historical figure in a way that Prince is not - the cult of mj is a messianic mass stan, michael's tunes are in a deep part of our collective global consciousness, and he's bigger even than pop, like maradona. Prince is a sparkling cosmic prism of space angel dust spinning and hurtling through the heavens - someone please post the yt where he just magicks his whole guitar into thin air

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
It's a very extroverted country. A huge amount of focus on the way you present yourself. The white teeth. The eye contact. The firm handshake.
this on the other hand while still a generalization has a ring of truth

but the extroversion is also a substitute for emotionality

the British repress their emotions, we sublimate them into outward expression

Fight Club (self as collection of things and/or external traits) and American Psycho ("I simply am not there...myself is fabricated") both address this by taking it to logical/absurd conclusion

padraig (u.s.)

there's also a deep, persistent strain of religiosity that Europeans (and American coastal liberals tbh) often completely fail to understand/account for

one particular iteration, or rather a cluster of them, run prominently and inextricably through Black American music, the examples being innumerable

I/others have discussed this before - the dialectic tension between spiritual and temporal ecstasy

"dearly beloved, we are gathered here to get through this thing called life"

to which the answer "in this life, you're on your own" so "let's go crazy"

padraig (u.s.)

I do agree that Prince (mostly), despite the eroticism/sleaziness etc, isn't really body music in the way disco is

it's too rock, the grooves too stripped down + straightforward

it's thrusting pelvis music

Tipper Gore losing her mind over the lyrics to Darling Nikki

padraig (u.s.)

What he did for race relations is without precedent
sorry I can't let this pass

the ultimate transcendent pop figure, and possibly (as an artist) a force for some kind of global good, if you believe pop music can be such, OK

but this is complete insanity, even by the standards of hyperbole concerning a childhood hero

like it's such a crazy statement that it becomes hard to trust any other opinion a person might have about him

padraig (u.s.)

tho I do agree that MJ can't simply be reduced to a product manufactured almost entirely by others

the endpoint of a manufacturing process certainly, but one that he was fully involved in

I thought these ideas of authenticity had already been completely dusted in the great poptimist wars of the early 00s?

like, Prince was vastly closer to being an auteur

does that make him "better" than MJ? no

I prefer Prince. I in general prefer deeply idiosyncratic auteurs to populists, tho I do like plenty of pop (I've softened in my old age).

padraig (u.s.)

luka mentioned the Electrifying Mojo above

there's the famous May quote Detroit techno being "George Clinton + Kraftwerk stuck in an elevator"

Prince is in there too, but especially with auteurs it makes me think of Drexciya

it's not immediately obvious - Drexciya is perhaps the most conceptually anti-erotic dance music ever

but it's in the fast, stripped-down grooves and the sense of the alien as well as the liminal

Prince didn't explicitly conceptualize an Erotic City but it exists de facto in his work

every bit as fully realized as Drexciya's underwater metropolis

you might posit Drexciya as "Prince and 1983 A Merman I Turn to Be trapped in an elevator"