Can You Feel It vs. The Bells

Can You Feel It vs. The Bells

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mvuent

Void Dweller
phylyps track vs can you feel it might have also been a good archetypal techno vs archetypal house comparison. not a million miles away from the bells but probably more popular here.

luka

There's various different technos but the early Detroit romanticism is the stuff which is best able to translate to home listening

version

What about one quintessential house anthem and one techno one. Some strictly rhythm thing vs Sonething all austere and mechanical
Do can you feel it vs bells
yeah i agree. curious what people would have to say.
Is Night Drive (Thru-Babylon) a quintessential techno anthem? We could could have done Clear vs. Can You Feel It if we're going down this route. That might have been a stronger one.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
OTTOMH, I reckon Night Drive Thru Babylon would be the best Detroit contender here. Similar era, similar approaches in some ways, but Night Drive is all rain-flecked sci-fi romanticism where Can U Feel It is a big warm humanistic group hug. Can U Feel It would probably still win, though.

Larry Heard vs Juan Atkins would probably have been a better comparison. Maybe artist vs artist is a better format.

sadmanbarty

corpse’s description of bells- with its talk of filteration and tonality and all that- fits in to an implicit dyad that’s been running through all these polls; aesthetics vs craft. When people talk about ain’t nobody/Cuban Linx/can you feel it they talk about them in terms of their emotional impact, the moods and imagery they evoke, etc. Whereas when the discussion turns to I feel for you/liquid swords/bells it turns far more technical; about specific almost measurable sonic qualities.

That same would apply I think if we picked specific ni and prince tracks; Jackson’s related to in terms of feeling whereas prince it’d be a bit more about distinctive drum programming, off kilter chord progressions and all that.

Apollo vs Dionysus

version

I can really hear that stuff in Maurizio. It's just buried, distended, smudged.

Last edited:

version

It's all got that feeling of electricity I was talking about in the electricity thread. You can almost hear it coursing through the machines. That bit of grit makes it sound like power lines.

luka

It's all got that feeling of electricity I was talking about in the electricity thread. You can almost hear it coursing through the machines. That bit of grit makes it sound like power lines.

That's one of the big things I love about basic channel it's so physical that sense