Can You Feel It vs. The Bells

Can You Feel It vs. The Bells

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
capitalisms abstraction of the war machine, in like finance, is its key innovation in the 20th century. the soldiers are no longer real participants, only the civilians who are killed. and that is what is truly terrifying.

luka

That art should never be an unguent for instance. That that is fundamentally dishonest.

When I complained about the worst house being saccharine and platitudinous perhaps I was using this framework, or these assumptions.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if, hypothetically, for instance, the US went to war with China, China would still lose, even though on average, and globally speaking, the amount of people who would want to die for China would far exceed that of the states. wars are no longer unpredictable but wholly determined. it's no longer a flexing of chivalry but of sheer industrial capability. Russolo would have utterly loathed the war bureaucrat, his vision was far more Spenglerian, bonding on the frontlines.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the correct way to counter a Scruton like character is to demonstrate that they endow beauty with standards of authenticity. once that is deconstructed, so does the will to war, hitler hated Schoenberg (remember?) and that was the political incoherency of classical fascism. it sought to return to a pre-1789 caste society, and yet, despite what its ideologists thought, it was swept up with the need to compete against British and American capital. and in that sense, it could not be anything but modern, albeit a reactionary modernism.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
for instance, Indian and Arabic music has no harmonic counterpoint. that would be a useful way of approaching this. defeat him in the realm of history.

the question becomes interrogating his conception of dissonance. one could never convince Scruton that music is organised noise, because for him music is a product of civilisation, and not a product of barbaric tribe societies. the pipe and drum is not a valid standard to judge bach against for hin, because they operate on totally different terrains.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
in that sense the cosmos is not in constant flux and change. it is relatively static except on a strictly atomic particle level. but particles are also historical, phenomenological and psychological. the Scrutonite worldview is dualistic in the extreme, it separates phenomena from motion almost entirely, I.E: anything scientific is strictly technical, as is the economy. the economy is never the social relations of daily existence but merely the production of commodities. a bad habit!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I.E: Schoenberg and Coltrane are revolting to Scruton not because of their ugliness and dissonance inherently, but because they are more Bach than Bach. Music should know its place in the hierarchy and not venture beyond that.

mvuent

Void Dweller
no no no. you've got it all wrong. Russolo wasn't saying that as an abstract artistic statement, but because he thought war machines were the future of capitalism and not clerical accounting, joint stock companies and state direction of private enterprise. he was already outdated at the time, and basically proto-fascist. something like bitcoin would be abhorrent to him.
well yeah, russolo as an actual person/thinker was a fascist, not someone to imitate of uphold at all. an important clarification i guess.

mvuent

Void Dweller
for instance, Indian and Arabic music has no harmonic counterpoint. that would be a useful way of approaching this. defeat him in the realm of history.

the question becomes interrogating his conception of dissonance. one could never convince Scruton that music is organised noise, because for him music is a product of civilisation, and not a product of barbaric tribe societies. the pipe and drum is not a valid standard to judge bach against for hin, because they operate on totally different terrains.

"letting people know that contrary to the stupid old rules, it's safe to go outside"

is this line drastically different from what you're saying in the quote, in your view third? assuming that said people have been raised as scrutonites.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the division between house and techno is also mainly a new york thing. techno took a much less jackin turn there, more proto gabba. and certainly more a division pronounced in detroit as well. but the definition of chicago house is very very catholic if you listen to old farley jackmaster funk/ron hardy mixes house is literally warehouse music, anything that would burn the floor. it's why a lot of the perculator era 1994-1995 tracky chicago house sounds very techno in a way new york garage doesn't. even the paradise garage was relatively upmarket compared to the warehouse which was basically a gay club for badboys who might have engaged in some low level illicit activity or came from more impoverished backgrounds.

this was a big farley jackmaster funk tune

mvuent

Void Dweller
I don't think any sophisticated person would sign up to the idea the way I presented it. That's a very boiled down reduced version of something I think is behind a Certain current of aesthetic thought.

right, which is why i responded to it specifically.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
"letting people know that contrary to the stupid old rules, it's safe to go outside"

is this line drastically different from what you're saying in the quote, in your view third? assuming that said people have been raised as scrutonites.

Well my line is that yes, from the Scrutonite perspective it's not safe to go outside. I can agree with him if we take his conception of music. but that's precisely why it should be done. the point is our perspective on music is different, not merely a battle between tonality and dissonance.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
for those people music reflects the value set of the white nobleman. not any old white person, and certainly not white capitalists, but lords, ladies, courtiers etc.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Well my line is that yes, from the Scrutonite perspective it's not safe to go outside. I can agree with him if we take his conception of music. but that's precisely why it should be done. the point is our perspective on music is different, not merely a battle between tonality and dissonance.

going "outside" entails going beyond the scrutonite perspective, not sticking to it

but I also don't think you have to renounce everything "inside" (all the insights and works)--you just won't see it or maybe organize it in quite the same way. you won't be an upstanding white nobleman anymore.