You Should Let Me Love You vs So Sick

So Sick or You Should Let Me Love You

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Nah, I think So Sick is better. It's just a bit blander than Let Me Love You. Let Me Love You has this ominous tone to it, before the first verse starts - and the melody is so aching, "you're a dime plus 99"...

I dunno, I'd need to be a musicologist to explain why LMLY is better. It makes the same muscles in my face tighten that tighten just before you burst into tears.

This is my fave neyo song. Again, just an amazing, unforgettable melody throughout.

luka

Yeah the Mario has a soaring quality. I suppose I was wondering if anyone would favour the more quiet, gentle pleasures of the Ne-Yo

version

I've never heard any of these before. I like how the colours and ice/snow in the video for So Sick match how crisp the production is -- those crunchy claps, like walking in fresh snow.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Stargate produced both Miss Independent and So Sick - and also S Club Party and Body Language by Kid Ink!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
So Sick sounds like an Usher song, dunnit?

That production. What is that sound they're using - almost like a marimba or xylophone? Music box. A bit sickly. Very dated.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
let me love you obviously. So Sick was bland (rote, rehearsed) appealing to the neo-soul sophisticates with mock affectations of soul, and not the real deal at the time as well. better to find the recent comeback gems in old soul singers. Sure, Aretha rehearsed every note but she rehearsed relevant to her time period and not to chase retro clout.

sadmanbarty

Mario is the Cuban Linz of this. The most immediate. Jumping out the speakers and grabbing you.

But I do think I’m so sick. Just about. Very, very tricky this one. Both staples of the school disco canon.

luka

So Sick sounds like an Usher song, dunnit?

That production. What is that sound they're using - almost like a marimba or xylophone? Music box. A bit sickly. Very dated.

There's a family resemblance. But I think it is distinctively Ne-Yo. His thing. I was thinking about pitting 'you got it bad' against something before I settled on these two.

luka

Mario is the Cuban Linz of this. The most immediate. Jumping out the speakers and grabbing you.

But I do think I’m so sick. Just about. Very, very tricky this one. Both staples of the school disco canon.

I can imagine Craner being So Sick