Status
Not open for further replies.
This really is drawing out some of the worst conspiracy theories I've ever heard. The idea that only grime MCs know the truth about what's going on (5g ofc) is pretty impressive.

Leo

Virus Deaths Mount, but N.Y. Avoids Predicted Surge at Hospitals So Far
Officials had estimated that 140,000 hospital beds might be needed to treat coronavirus patients. Only about 18,500 were in use by week’s end.

On March 24 Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo appeared at the Jacob K. Javits Center in Manhattan and, as soldiers scrambled to transform it into a hospital, he offered the public a dire assessment.

Sophisticated scientists, Mr. Cuomo said, had studied the coming coronavirus outbreak and their projections were alarming. Infections were doubling nearly every three days and the state would soon require an unthinkable expansion of its health care system. To stave off a catastrophe, New York might need up to 140,000 hospital beds and as many as 40,000 intensive care units with ventilators.

“One of the forecasters said to me we were looking at a freight train coming across the country,” Mr. Cuomo said.

Two weeks later, however, with an unprecedented shutdown of public schools, countless businesses and most of outdoor life, New York has managed to avoid the apocalyptic vision that some of the forecasters predicted.

The daily death toll has still been staggering, approaching 800 for a third straight day on Friday, and some hospitals continue to teeter on the brink of chaos.

But the number of intensive care beds being used declined for the first time in the crisis, to 4,908, according to daily figures released on Friday. And the total number hospitalized with the virus, 18,569, was far lower than the darkest expectations.

In yet another sign that the worst of the predictions had not yet come to pass, the Javits Center, the convention center where Mr. Cuomo offered his worrisome assessment, was treating only 300 patients. The rest of its roughly 2,500 beds were empty.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Guys... it's getting to the difficult bit, nothing is really news any more, just a grim ticking upwards of numbers all over the world, lockdown madness kicking in and even the novelty worn off. Some countries talking about relaxing restrictions but that seems a bit of a tantalising dream to be honest.
Meanwhile seems some people in South Korea who had tested positive and been cleared have now tested positive again - there seems to be some debate as to whether they are reinfected or the virus has reactivated whatever that means, neither sound that good do they?

luka

Most people I know are really starting to get into it. Even those friends with families have found they don't necessarily hate their wife and kids after all. It's really hard for hospital staff and those who are sick but everyone else is having an absolute ball.

luka

I expected tensions to skyrocket within households but it's had the opposite effect in a lot of cases. People being kinder and more,patient with one another. Every day feels like a lovely lazy Sunday afternoon

IdleRich

IdleRich
I reckon we've been on lockdown here like a week longer than UK and semi-lockdown before that for a couple of weeks too... could be wrong but I think that you're gonna be feeling like I am now in about two or three weeks... I remember the illicit enjoyment of a week or two ago.

Most people I know are really starting to get into it. Even those friends with families have found they don't necessarily hate their wife and kids after all. It's really hard for hospital staff and those who are sick but everyone else is having an absolute ball.

Loving it. About 75% of people I know in London have had it and are climbing up their walls. But not me,, I'm settling into a new job, via zoom, listening to dub in the summerhouse and watching the fish jump in our pond. Queuing at Lewes Waitrose earlier was a minor ball-ache, but at least it was in the sunshine.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice if you got a garden. I feel like we're in-between in that we have a balcony - it's maybe 6m long which is great... but only 1.5m wide, which is not so great. See some people's pictures of lounging around their huge gardens and feel a bit jealous, but then I think of some of our friends who live in a one-room basement flat and realise it could be worse.

Leo

that ny times article I posted earlier today offers a slight glimmer of positive news, rich. I'm sure hospitals can still get overwhelmed, but perhaps the lockdown/social distancing/face masks are making some difference. chin up!

aside from venturing out, our only option for sunshine is a fire escape in the afternoon.

Last edited:

luka

I usually have a two hour walk in the day and sometimes another walk in the evening. The evenings are so lovely and the sky is so clear. Venus is blazing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah don't get me wrong, we just drove to the supermarket and I stopped halfway back for Liza to run round the marshes - it's blocked off with a sign but there were loads of people there anyway (she said). Lovely day for sure.
I did read that about the hospital beds Leo, cheers for that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There does seem to be a double-pronged shit attack from the government - first prong is playing the hoax down, delaying lockdown and so on with the result that the UK is seeing almost a thousand deaths a day at the moment and shooting up the bad tables, the other prong is being shit at getting equipment and tests to people and also to hospitals, and lying about doing this. I'd say that Patel's briefing after emerging from her brilliant "heart sticker for the abused" hideaway fits more into the second prong.

Leo

I know a guy who works for a rich philanthropist. the office is closed but the rich boss still needs to get his mail. so a couple of times a week, my friend goes to the office building in midtown in the 50s at 2:00 am, picks up the mail, and walks all the way to the rich boss's apartment building on the upper east side in the 70s, drops the mail in the lobby with the doorman and walks home to the east village. on average, he said he sees just one other person on the street in the whole 2.5-3 hours of walking. i would so love to roam the city right now.

version

Someone on Reddit,

My own personal conspiring theory is Boris played up his mild Corona to get to hospital and bailed so in the coming inquiry he won't be responsible. He is out of gov at the worst time for 'up to a month'. Boris, Cummings and Patel ran away at this exact moment.....

luka

I know a guy who works for a rich philanthropist. the office is closed but the rich boss still needs to get his mail. so a couple of times a week, my friend goes to the office building in midtown in the 50s at 2:00 am, picks up the mail, and walks all the way to the rich boss's apartment building on the upper east side in the 70s, drops the mail in the lobby with the doorman and walks home to the east village. on average, he said he sees just one other person on the street in the whole 2.5-3 hours of walking. i would so love to roam the city right now.

Go and roam it then. Or cycle if you have a bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.