Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A bit like a hand-wringing article by some Owen Jones wannabe in VICE, about how hipsters are bad because they're agents of gentrification, with an ad on the next page for a graffiti exhibition sponsored by Budweiser in an old shoe factory in some 'up and coming' inner-city area.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess, but it sounds like something you'd read in a opinion column in the Daily Mail or the Express, most likely written by someone who is themselves middle class (as journalists generally tend to be), and probably quite political in content, too.
So... wait a minute, are you implying that some DM journalists are hypocrites?

No-one knows anything, I don't. On the last page we had a video about a Spanish doctor saying Covid is a myth because his hospital is empty, posted by an Irish chemical engineer who reinvented himself as a pro-keto diet doctor on youtube. And he might even be right.

You can pretend to know anything now.

I've been following Ivor for about 4 years. There's not much he's wrong about.

I'm surprised he's gone all out on covid, tbh, but he's applying unadulterated rationality, as you'd expect from an engineer, to a crazy situation.

Leo

It just means kinda middle-class types who talk about politics doesn't it?

the one I find particularly annoying is "pearl-clutchers". it was moderately clever the first time it was used, but not the 10th (or 1,000th) time. reeks of classism, sexism, possibly ageism. so much for inclusion and diversity, I guess.

I've been following Ivor for about 4 years. There's not much he's wrong about.

I'm surprised he's gone all out on covid, tbh, but he's applying unadulterated rationality, as you'd expect from an engineer, to a crazy situation.

It's surprising how many people have gone all out on Covid, but it's also an easy way to continue to market your brand- people are deeper in this shit than anything ever, and reach is paramount when you're a self-facilitating media node. Someone like Ivor- and personally I disagree with the "rationality" of engineers, though I know more mechanical than chemical so who knows- is clearly very business savvy in the new media world and is doing quite well out of it, so good for him. But if everyone around you is twatting on about covid then why would you carry on tweeting ketogenic diets. You'd be lost in the mire. So he has took this lane now and ran with it. Covid is making experts out of all sorts of people now. Zeynep Tufecki was a technology sociologist a year ago and is now an aerosol scholar (not a slur, she's good). You adapt I guess. It's how you make your money.

This is the internet economy- it's all content, own your brand etc etc

I'm more in the middle on all this than most on here I think- I do believe it's real, I know someone who died of it for fuck's sake- but I think both extremes are quite odd tbh. You have people locking themselves away and in histrionics when people go the beach or a fucking beer garden even though it's clear at this point that indoor cold spaces cause the spread; air conditioning, poor ventilation. And then knobheads filming themselves with no mask on in Asda as if this is some huge life achievement. Mask or no mask you're still taking selfies in the supermarket mate. The internet makes everyone look like fools ultimately.

The fat emperor was never especially objectionable, but he has to be careful he doesn't get up in the social media histrionics now like a lot of people are imo. Is this such an admirable trait now? I had more respect for the niches. Days of feedback loops with retweets of obscure German doctors because they fit your narrative, either way. Then ultimately that becomes your world doesn't it. Some people become obsessed with this shit like Father Ted's Glinner did about transsexuals, it's not healthy

Why am I still typing

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When you think of altruism, what readily comes to mind? Charity, giving, love, kindness, and humanitarian progress, right? What if I were to tell you that altruism has a dark, secret pathology that has driven some of the worst, and most horrific acts humanity has experienced historically?

Just think how wonderful the world could be if we were all just a little more selfish.

mixed_biscuits

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That doesn't entail that they conform beyond saying that they don't, does it?
It might not entail it, but they often do, especially about the pandemic. "It's no worse than flu, lockdowns are for wimps, masks are an affront to liberty and we'll all have herd immunity soon anyway" has been the right-wing orthodoxy from day 1.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm waiting for when US deaths reach 200k - one minute to midnight on Dec 31st and Mixed Biscuits is the worst kind of fool and everything he has ever said can be disregarded, one minute into 2021 and I take the opposite viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.