Status
Not open for further replies.

haji

lala
Getting out while they still can?
I heard that as soon as the schools closed in Madrid a load of Madrienos headed straight for their 2nd homes at the beach, to hatred and derision from people taking lockdown seriously

IdleRich

IdleRich
We got a friend whose family have a second home in the Algarve, we went there a few months back cos we were nearby. It's in a small town which has a centre and restaurants and stuff but the bit where his parents have their apartment is purely holiday homes and out of season it's like a ghost town. I was actually thinking that it would have been a pretty sensible place to hole-up for the next month or so.

comelately

Wild Horses
A lot of Norwegians retreated to their country cottages and the government ordered them back to the cities lest they overwhelm the minimal hospital capacity in those regions.

Boris is *recommending* something which is basically going to be unfeasible for many, and I think will be ignored by many on that basis. There were photos of Waterloo station being dead this morning, but I'm not sure that's quite the reality of the situation around the UK.

Hungary has closed the border to non-Hungarians and shops that aren't food shops or pharmacies will apparently close at 1500 now. My gym still seems to be running normal hours. I walked my gf to her office today and Budapest is still relatively free-range. As the tourists leave and aren't replaced that will change a bit, but not that much. Shops are beginning to discount, supermarkets beginning to be short on meat (the market stalls had meat, it's around), one I went to barely had any cooking oil.

version

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Monday shut down social life in Britain and ordered the elderly infirm to isolate for 12 weeks, ramping up the battle against the coronavirus outbreak just as it accelerates towards it peak.

In a sharp toughening of Britain’s approach to the outbreak, Johnson closed down any remaining social life in the world’s fifth largest economy and ordered those over 70 with underlying health problems to isolate for 12 weeks from this weekend.

“What we are announcing today is a very substantial change in the way that we want people to live their lives and I can’t remember anything like it in my life time,” Johnson, 55, said at a news conference in Number 10 Downing Street, flanked by the government’s top scientist and top doctor.

“I don’t think there’s really been anything like it in peacetime and we have to accept that it’s a very considerable psychological, behavioural change that we’re asking you, the public, the nation to do,” he said.

People should avoid pubs, clubs, restaurants, cinemas and theatres, the government said, though Johnson stopped short of ordering them to close. He said he hoped the venues would take a responsible approach. People should also avoid unnecessary travel and work from home where possible, he said.

The limits on social contact could last for months or at least weeks, Chief Medical Officer for England Chris Whitty said.

Johnson said anyone with symptoms of the coronavirus should isolate along with their entire household for 14 days. Home working, he said, should begin in earnest.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-h...oronavirus-outbreak-accelerates-idUKKBN213309

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm reading that bar owners etc are in a double-bind cos Johnson has basically ordered people to stay away meaning they lose their income, but he hasn't actually ordered them to close so they can't claim on their insurance.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I work in a restaurant in a shopping mall and my boss told me today that she has to stay open until the owner of the mall tells her to close. Meanwhile all the shops have to shut, but not the food court. A little perplexing, to say the least. But even more perplexing was when I asked her what she wants to do herself. She said she'd rather stay open because she's young and healthy???! I said yeah but what about us carrying the virus around and passing it to others? She was basically like 'whatever.'

Da fucc.

Edit: in Berlin fwiw

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i think we should ALL get sent a test, every single person. but i guess that's logistically impossible?

has anyone else been feeling sick? at this point i don't know if it's hypochondriasis but i've had headaches for several days, diarrhea and muscle aches. all of them rather mild. is it possible to have corona with these symptoms? cause i'm not coughing and my lungs feel normal.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I work in a restaurant in a shopping mall and my boss told me today that she has to stay open until the owner of the mall tells her to close. Meanwhile all the shops have to shut, but not the food court. A little perplexing, to say the least. But even more perplexing was when I asked her what she wants to do herself. She said she'd rather stay open because she's young and healthy???! I said yeah but what about us carrying the virus around and passing it to others? She was basically like 'whatever.'

Da fucc.

Edit: in Berlin fwiw

have you considered calling in sick? it's possible to get a sick note for a week by just calling the doctor. they'll probably close that food court anyway over the next days.

droid

I dont think you have it yyaldrin, or if you do, thats quite an unusual combination of symptoms. Probably just stress.

I reckon everyone will get tested eventually. There's been some big strides in testing over the last couple of weeks. Mass, self administered testing is probably only about a month away, and should relieve a lot of anxiety/isolation issues.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Sounds like stress related hypochondria. With that incident with your neighbor, shit must be crazy man. My thoughts are with you

droid

have you considered calling in sick? it's possible to get a sick note for a week by just calling the doctor. they'll probably close that food court anyway over the next days.

Do what my mate did and just turn up in the morning and start coughing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Isis are taking the crisis more seriously than Boris Johnson and they care more for their suicide bombers than BJ does for his citizens.

Coronavirus: Isis tells followers not to travel to Europe for attacks because of outbreak
‘The healthy should not enter the land of the epidemic,’ says terror group

Status
Not open for further replies.