Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Going mental at home... went for a drive to see the only person who can save us...

20200316_205847.jpg

Lisbon looks good from up here.

20200316_210001.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm reading that bar owners etc are in a double-bind cos Johnson has basically ordered people to stay away meaning they lose their income, but he hasn't actually ordered them to close so they can't claim on their insurance.

Pubs have been struggling in the UK for years and this is going to finish off an awful lot of them, I reckon.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
US House passes Family First Coronavirus Response Act, currently pending Senate approval (if I have that right). Some bits from it:

The legislation provides paid leave, establishes free testing, protects public health workers, and provides important benefits to children and families.

[...]

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women Infants and Children (WIC) – $500 million to provide access to nutritious foods to low-income pregnant women or mothers with young children

[...]

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) – $400 million to assist local food banks to meet increased demand for low-income Americans during the emergency.

[...]

$100 million for USDA to provide nutrition assistance grants to Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands tin response to the COVID-19 public health emergency.

[...]

Includes $5 million for the Department of Labor to
administer the emergency paid sick days program.

[...]

Includes $250 million for the Senior Nutrition program

[...]

Waiver Exception for School Closures Due to COVID-19. Provides the Secretary of Agriculture the authority to issue nationwide school meal waivers during the COVID-19 emergency, which will eliminate paperwork for states and help more schools quickly adopt and utilize flexibilities.

[...]

This section defines an “emergency leave day” as a day in which an individual is unable to work due to one of four qualifying reasons related to COVID-19:
• The worker has a current diagnosis of COVID-19.
• The worker is quarantined (including self-imposed quarantine), at the instruction of a
health care provider, employer, or government official, to prevent the spread of COVID-
• The worker is caring for another person who has COVID-19 or who is under a quarantine
related to COVID-19.
• The worker is caring for a child or other individual who is unable to care for themself due
to the COVID-19-related closing of their school, child care facility, or other care program.

[...]

$500 million would be reserved for emergency grants to states which experienced at least a10 percent increase in unemployment.

[...]

This section requires private health plans to provide coverage for COVID-19 diagnostic testing, including the cost of a provider, urgent care center and emergency room visits in order to receive testing. Coverage must be provided at no cost to the consumer.

[...]

This section requires the National Disaster Medical System to reimburse the costs of COVID-19 diagnostic testing provided to individuals without insurance.

All in all, this seems well considered, appearing to balance cost with proper support. Then again, this was the first house act that I read through in entirety, so perhaps many set such high aims.

Apparently Trump is supportive of it, but I have yet to dig in that direction.

droid

Spain nationalises all private hospitals.

UK rolls back on insane policy whilst failing to introduce proper shutdown measures.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
at this point this thing can't be contained any more isn't it? does it mean we'll have to maintain social distancing until there is a vaccine/cure? how long might that take?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Spain nationalises all private hospitals.

UK rolls back on insane policy whilst failing to introduce proper shutdown measures.

Couldn't put it better. While I welcome the rowback from insanity, then what the fuck is this piecemeal shit? On the same day that France admits asking people nicely doesn't work and a shutdown is needed in the European case of being totally underprepared for anything like this, Johnson goes ahead and suggests the exact same thing. Simultaneously, as documented well above, threatening the total destruction of thousands of small businesses and livelihoods (and possibly larger?)

I applaud Spain for that. Can't say much good about Pedro Sanchez, but that's decisive at the right time (okay, a bit late, but)

What is blowing my mind is how many people don't get what this is going to be like. Friends talking about going on trips in April, the course I'm doing suggesting that we cancel next week's seminar but then meet at the end of March. WE WILL BE THE EPICENTRE OF A FUCKING PANDEMIC IN TWO WEEKS. Words fail me at this point.

droid

Isolation and lockdowns will work to suppress it and prevent a large number of deaths. Mass testing regime followed by fast responses, periodic local quarantines, travel restrictions and lockdowns should prevent further major outbreaks. The faster you institute lockdown measures the less severe the effects. Vaccines and effective treatments will eventually arrive.

The asian nations had the correct approach. Switzerland, the Netherlands, Germany & France have all fucked it to some extent, the UK however seems to have taken it to a next level. Johnson may be remembered as the PM who needlessly killed hundreds of thousands. I hope a treatment arrives before that happens.

version

(Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, a key part of the federal response to the fast-spreading coronavirus outbreak, was hit by a cyberattack on Sunday night, prompting a response from the National Security Council, Bloomberg said on Monday.

Multiple hacking incidents appeared aimed at slowing down the department’s systems, Bloomberg reported, citing three people familiar with the matter.

The cyberattack prompted the NSC at the White House to push out an overnight tweet after U.S. officials realized there had been an intrusion and that false information was circulating about the coronavirus response, Bloomberg reported.

“Text message rumors of a national #quarantine are FAKE. There is no national lockdown. @CDCgov has and will continue to post the latest guidance on #COVID19. #coronavirus,” NSC tweeted overnight.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ment-amid-coronavirus-bloomberg-idUSKBN21320V

Lower death rate estimates for coronavirus, especially for non-elderly, provide glimmer of hope

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/lower-coronavirus-death-rate-estimates/

The chance of someone with symptomatic Covid-19 dying varied by age, confirming other studies. For those aged 15 to 44, the fatality rate was 0.5%, though it might have been as low as 0.1% or as high as 1.3%. For people 45 to 64, the fatality rate was also 0.5%, with a possible low of 0.2% and a possible high of 1.1%. For those over 64, it was 2.7%, with a low and high estimate of 1.5% and 4.7%.

The chance of serious illness from coronavirus infection in younger people was so low, the scientists estimate a fatality rate of zero.

As physicians and researchers have seen since the start of the outbreak, many infected people never become sick. As few as 14% of people in Wuhan with early coronavirus infections were being detected, said epidemiologist Jeffrey Shaman of the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, who led a study published on Monday in Science on undocumented coronavirus infections.

Related: Why ‘flattening the curve’ may be the world’s best bet to slow the coronavirus
“I think there are many more than the [nearly] 70,000” confirmed Covid-19 cases in Hubei province, Shaman told reporters.

That means the “infection fatality rate” — deaths among people who have the virus but might or might not show disease symptoms — is even lower than Wu and his colleagues calculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.