Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

I thought it was really cool. I really enjoyed it. One of the things I was saying on the conspiracy thread that it is always important to see things as if they were reversed. It's quite easy to reverse the image of virus response, lockdown, track and trace, masks, curfews etc from safety precaution to something more sinister.

It really gives you the willies. If you're not performing that exercise from time to time then of course you're brain dead

luka

It's part of your responsibility as a citizen and human serf to reverse it in that way from time to time and weigh it, as we get further into the programme, keep measuring these viewpoints against one another. Is it time to go mad? Is it time to become a paranoid raving looney?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I thought it was really cool. I really enjoyed it. One of the things I was saying on the conspiracy thread that it is always important to see things as if they were reversed. It's quite easy to reverse the image of virus response, lockdown, track and trace, masks, curfews etc from safety precaution to something more sinister.

It really gives you the willies. If you're not performing that exercise from time to time then of course you're brain dead
I'll write a proper reply later, but from having glanced at it, it looks like a case study in how these things hook you in by using a mixture of ideas, including some that are reasonable or even arguably true (e.g. that some laws supposed to combat the virus have been ineffective or even counterproductive, which I agree with). But then they introduce this group of German doctors (fallacy of argument from authority - doctors! From Germany, a sensible country!), saying that "it's no worse than flu". Now the average death toll from flu in the USA is 40,000 in the absence of any special anti-pandemic measures at all. So straight away, I'm inclined to take it about as seriously as Flat Earth.

I appreciate, of course, that you're arguing more for the utility of the conspiracy theory mindset, rather than the literal truth of this one or any other particular example.

luka

for example predictions of what a pandemic would look like (people being told to wash their hands!) becomes evidence of pre-planning etc. plandemic.

luka

you do have to keep weighing these things in the scales becasue lockdown as a panic response, a containment measure to buy time, is a very different proposition to lockdown as a permanant feature of life.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
you do have to keep weighing these things in the scales becasue lockdown as a panic response, a containment measure to buy time, is a very different proposition to lockdown as a permanant feature of life.
Naturally. To return to New Zealand, they locked down early and hard, and it worked. Then they lifted it and had a "second wave" (of a few hundred cases), locked down again, then lifted it again, at least outside Aukland, as far as I can tell.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hang on, are we having a more or less civil discussion about conspiracies? Must be a glitch in the Matrix!

Status
Not open for further replies.