Status
Not open for further replies.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Interestingly, people I know who think more about this sort of stuff than me seem reasonably okay with the current state of the UK government's short-term response. The basic argument is that a) it's still at a stage where it's very very rare in the UK - current numbers look like less than 1 confirmed case per 100,000 people, and even allowing an order of magnitude more for undiagnosed cases that's still extremely sparse and b) if you take stringent measures too early, people are going to get fed up and start ignoring them too early as well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've had a slightly sore throat for three days now.

:eek:

Shit. Hope you're OK. I suppose all that can be said is that you have to remember that normal colds and seasonal flu aren't going to go away just because there's a new boy in town.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
By the same token, many seem to think that the UK is about four weeks behind Italy, where the health service has been utterly overwhelmed and 1,000 have died. The relative sparseness could end next week, and undiagnosed cases are probably about 30 times diagnosed cases, judging from the Chinese experience...so the equivalent of a small town now likely has it. And the majority of those people are coming into contact with 100s of other people every day, maybe not even dimly aware that they're infectious.

I get the point about not taking stringent measures too early, if it were only symptomatic cases that spread this virus. But as that's not what happens, the government approach is ignoring a potential earthquake. By the time stringent measures are taken, it may be too late. Even more than this, it's not *only* about very stringent measures, but also about social distancing to avoid widespread contagion - as far as I'm aware, next to nothing has been proposed on this.

Oh and: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_countries_by_hospital_beds The UK has even less hospital beds per capita than Italy, and a fraction of those in Germany and France, let alone Japnan and South Korea.
It's not only about Coronavirus and the complications from that, but about all the other people who won't be able to/will struggle to access healthcare while the virus is ongoing. And if they get to hospital, how are they not going to get infected?

Some story now from Basingstoke about a Covid-19 infected person being put in the ward with loads of critically ill people, without any precautions - more infections have followed

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, this would be a big challenge for the NHS even if it were in rude health itself and not struggling after a decade of Tory fuckery.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I agree - how can these people be saying that there might be 1/2 million people dead and not do anything to reduce the chance of that happening? That's legitimately insane. Overseas schools trips cancelled?! - it's The Thick of It, except with much more evil people.

The people running the UK are dangerous maniacs who clearly think in terms of acceptable collateral damage. As with the US of course.

comelately

Wild Horses
They got sciencey looking middle-aged white make scientists saying vaguely sciencey things and people bought into it basically.

The bit about how 'it doesn't matter if infected people got to football stadiums because on average the infected infect 2 or 3 other people so it doesn't really matter what they do' was a tell that they were pitching this at a certain level of intellect.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Absolutely, who knows what these government spokespeople are getting paid to sideline their best scientific instincts? It's as with the academics in the last decade paid off to say that austerity was not anti-economic madness.

comelately

Wild Horses
I agree - how can these people be saying that there might be 1/2 million people dead and not do anything to reduce the chance of that happening? That's legitimately insane. Overseas schools trips cancelled?! - it's The Thick of It, except with much more evil people.

The people running the UK are dangerous maniacs who clearly think in terms of acceptable collateral damage. As with the US of course.

The thing that concerns me is that if it all goes pears.....well there's a time when it would have caused the PM to resign. But we don't live in that time. Nonetheless there will be a lot of angry people, to put it mildly. I think this could take the UK to a dark place.

In some respects, the emergency order in Hungary is relatively light touch - shops, restaurants and most bars are open. I think we need to ban the Brits coming in tbh though.

Status
Not open for further replies.