version

This idea of the two conflicting schema as a deliberate ploy by Joyce to scramble the book further is intriguing. I'd assumed he was genuinely trying to help out his mates by giving them a rough map,
James Joyce made the superimposition of conflicting patterns one of the central principles of both Ulysses and Finnegans Wake. (You can see it in Portrait as well, but nowhere near to the extent.) While he drew on Dante’s schematic cosmology as a model for organizing huge and diverse amounts of material, he drew from Shakespeare the notion that uncertainty, indeterminacy, and outright contradiction could give immense strength and depth to the effect of a work on readers.

Unlike Shakespeare, Joyce could not hide his life from his readers. People were now far more interested in the life of the artist, and documentation was too easily had. But rather than trying to mask his intentions, he could overload a work with as many conflicting and indeterminate moments, motifs, and significations as possible. Schemata that came to mind after the basic construction of a work, like the infamous Ulysses schema that Joyce gave to Stuart Gilbert that has held too much sway ever since, were just additional bricks to add to the consternating edifice. (Note the somewhat variable Linati schema.)

version

Interesting they say Joyce couldn't hide his life from the reader because of interest in the artist, documentation etc when Pynchon managed to do it pretty successfully in a much more heavily-documented period.

version

Why are you filled with despair and rancor reading notes on Ulysses in particular and not, say, The Cantos?

luka

what's been your experience of the book version, talk to me about your actual life experiences of reading it

version

what's been your experience of the book version, talk to me about your actual life experiences of reading it
I've been reading it on and off since July. Some of it's a proper slog, "just turning the pages" as you put it earlier, and some of it's brilliant. There've been a few moments where I've seriously considered ditching it, but then I'll read it a bit more and fall in love with it again.

version

I got really fed up reading Circe recently as it went on for so long and gave me so little to work with I just wanted it to be over. That section alone's the length of a novel in its own right, 150 pages or something.