DannyL

Wild Horses
Loving these tunes.

Corps, you've heard this one right? I'm sure this is a super obvious choice but it fits the thread well

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Those fivio foreign ones are harking back to the bt and rendo era of drill. The point where it’s occupying the emotional space as pinero beats-era road rap and even grime. It’s bellicose, not apathetic.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Somewhat similar. It’s a 2016 thing really. Was out of vogue by 2017. Russ and taze carrying the torch in that sense.

sadmanbarty

Pop smoke’s the only Brooklyn drill artist I’ve heard where it sounds like a whole new different genre. The other’s all sound like UK drill just with American mc’s over the top.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Pop smoke’s the only Brooklyn drill artist I’ve heard where it sounds like a whole new different genre. The other’s all sound like UK drill just with American mc’s over the top.

Cheers for the links. What do you see the defining difference as?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I still prefer the US rappers though. In part I'm sure this is a prejudice that comes from years of listening to US rap, liking the accents but I suspect it's also 'cos the yanks are just better at it. More command and charisma in front of a mic. Kinda what we were talking about upthread.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Cheers for the links. What do you see the defining difference as?

I’m out now, so can’t listen to anything to check.

Mccing-wise there’s a lot me dead space and use of huge cavernous reverbs and auto-tune.

I know he uses some UK instrumentals (armed and dangerous is a headie one track for example), but lots of stuff with huge string sections and all that, that I don’t remember hearing in uk drill (at least back when I was listening to it). More orchestral. More reverby. Moving away from the piano-centric UK drill.

Also the drums are less fidgety and jungly. It’s more ‘kill shit’ indebted than the uk stuff is.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I still prefer the US rappers though. In part I'm sure this is a prejudice that comes from years of listening to US rap, liking the accents but I suspect it's also 'cos the yanks are just better at it. More command and charisma in front of a mic. Kinda what we were talking about upthread.

I do kind of agree with this, but otoh I think it's the London (probably south London) style also cos you think of grime MCs that have a lot of charisma.

The difference with someone like fivio foreign to most UK drill rappers I've heard is that he's going at it full tilt, not quite meek mill levels but high energy. That doesn't seem to be the style with Brits it's more deliberately understated.

sadmanbarty

I actually like some ofb.

Any song with lowkey on is the greatest song ever made. He gives voice to London’s abject desperation to be Jamaica. He’s my spirit animal.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
barty maybe you can also say something smart about the frequent use of masks in drill video's and corona in your essay for the wire?

sadmanbarty

can't believe they used that instrumental. feel violated. colonised. my cuture is not your prom dress

We're an empire now, and when we act we create our own reality