Splitting. Bifurcation.

entertainment

I'm simply asking what the people who are using the term in this thread define it as.

iI used it because there was this thing like ten to fifteen years ago on hip hop forums and youtube uploads, where people would lament the rise of rap that was materialistic and shallow personified by Lil Wayne or broke from the sample-based sound, and they would all say stuff like 'Real hip hop is not on the radio'.

they would epitomize 'real hip hop' as the 90's 'golden age' boom bap quality, later they'd champion MF Doom and Madlib, stuff like that. The way it kept with a certain tradition of earnestness in the lyrics and/or samples in the beats.

Trillhouse

I remember when i was djing in a bar once, i was playing a mixture stuff but currently some 80s boogie iirc, some pasty kid with long hair came up to me and started chatting shit or asking for something to be played, I kindly asked him to let me do my job, his parting response was "stop playing this gay shit and play some real hip hop, like Jurassic 5".

Trillhouse

The music which consciously and vocally identified itself as such.

"real" was a term that was thrown around by everybody though. nobody wants to a be 'fake ass rapper'. To quote CrowleyHead "a lot of these lines are imaginary".

I still don't understand which artist you believe were consciously releasing 'real hip hop tm'

luka

Well, for a start anyone who made a record in that vein. There was a spate of them
Eg Jeru did ya playin yourself
De la did stakes is high
The roots did what they do

luka

This is not an imaginary line at all. This is entirely uncontroversial and documented in the music itself.

I'm sick of bitches shakin' asses
I'm sick of talkin' about blunts,
Sick of Versace glasses,
Sick of slang,
Sick of half-ass awards shows,
Sick of name brand clothes.
Sick of R&B bitches over bullshit tracks,
Cocaine and crack
Which brings sickness to blacks,
Sick of swoll' head rappers
With their sicker-than raps
Clappers and gats
Makin' the whole sick world collapse

luka

The principles of true hip-hop have been forsaken
It's all contractual, and about money making
Pretend-to-be cats don't seem to know their limitations

luka

No one here is taking the term 'real hip-hop' at face value. No one here is that much of a simpleton. No one is using this as a value judgement either, again, no one here is that simple.

Trillhouse

I used it because there was this thing like ten to fifteen years ago on hip hop forums and youtube uploads, where people would lament the rise of rap that was materialistic and shallow personified by Lil Wayne or broke from the sample-based sound, and they would all say stuff like 'Real hip hop is not on the radio'.

they would epitomize 'real hip hop' as the 90's 'golden age' boom bap quality, later they'd champion MF Doom and Madlib, stuff like that. The way it kept with a certain tradition of earnestness in the lyrics and/or samples in the beats.

Viewing hip hop or rap through such prisms is the problem.

You can't talk about concepts formed in the era of Public Enemy & Native Tongues like they belonged to the imitators of the 00s and their salty fanbase.

It's completely illogical to dismisses the entire eras of 80s & 90s hip hop (that wasn't Bad Boy or Death Row) because some people ran contrary to the new and progressive movements in 00s.

Trillhouse

This is not an imaginary line at all. This is entirely uncontroversial and documented in the music itself.

I'm sick of bitches shakin' asses
I'm sick of talkin' about blunts,
Sick of Versace glasses,
Sick of slang,
Sick of half-ass awards shows,
Sick of name brand clothes.
Sick of R&B bitches over bullshit tracks,
Cocaine and crack
Which brings sickness to blacks,
Sick of swoll' head rappers
With their sicker-than raps
Clappers and gats
Makin' the whole sick world collapse

The whole Native Tongues thing was always to set themselves apart from this side of hip hop though. They'd been that way since the late 80s. The whole 'real hip hop' thing wasn't really a defined thing until a decade or so later. Maybe looking back through the prism of history it's easy to give it a whole different meaning.

luka

The whole Native Tongues thing was always to set themselves apart from this side of hip hop though. They'd been that way since the late 80s. The whole 'real hip hop' thing wasn't really a defined thing until a decade or so later. Maybe looking back through the prism of history it's easy to give it a whole different meaning.

Decade or so later than what? I'm not following I'm afraid. All the songs I quoted from are from the same year. 1996.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No one here is taking the term 'real hip-hop' at face value. No one here is that much of a simpleton. No one is using this as a value judgement either, again, no one here is that simple.

that's not what I'm saying though.

entertainment

When I started paying attention (which was mid 2000s), there was a consistent connotation to 'real hip hop'. You knew what sound and cultural value set propagaters of this notion advocated. It wasn't really about quality as much as orthodoxy. Since then I haven't encountered this phrase with different meaning to it, that's why I used it.

Was it used differently before? It's not the same thing as talk of 'being real'.

Last edited:

luka

When I started paying attention (which was mid 2000s), there was a consistent connotation to 'real hip hop'. You knew what sound and cultural value set propagaters of this notion advocated. It wasn't really about quality as much as orthodoxy. Since then I haven't encountered this phrase with different meaning to it, that's why I used it.

Was it used differently before? It's not the same thing as talk of 'being real'.

Don't worry entertainment everyone knows what you're talking about.

entertainment

right ok haha, so maybe what needs to be clarified is that using the phrase now in this thread, I thought it carried the tacit assertion of its silliness, that the term had been solidified and left to dry becaus no-one really cared or had the arrogance to use it anymore