Sci Fi and Magic

sadmanbarty

this has been a dyad lurking implicitly in the subconscious of a lot of threads for a long time; the bladerunner jungle stuff, communist music reviews, arguably even michael jackson vs princess.

you’ve got to have the gods and magic with the sci fi. the matrix has all the computers but it also has oracles and prophecies and zion and the chosen one.

star wars is wicked because it’s got the force and all that, whereas star trek’s gross. superheroes are similar; thor and super soldier serum occupy the same reality.

vegertable empire’s earth suits work on both terrains.

bladerunner jungle is the rejection of the deific. normal jungle has michael rose witch doctor vocals and buju banton titan voice. it has the angelic feminine entities that swarm the pink temple singing like the sirens of ancient greek mythology. weed smoke swirling through the air like sentiant sorcerer smoke making symbolic formations of its own accord. if you fetishise merely the technological you end up talking about engines and mechanics; "top gear jungle”.

Wu Tang is magic with a bit of sci fi. dub weds the bible and technology masterfully.

without the god and magic the technology is just an ends in itself, whereas when coupled with the enchanting it becomes a means to attain higher consciousness. to break on through to the other side and ride the snake and all that.

i think we’ve been going through a magical spell recently. intence ‘dope’ we were all talking about as magic i think. future’s ‘oxy’. young thug’s magic. tommy lee sparta’s magic. the harlequin thread about channeling spiritual entities.

in jamaica they refer to obeah and pocomania as "science" which is a nice way of reconciling the two sides of the dyad.

catalog

Yeah thinking about it, I'm not sure dyad is the correct word after all. I think duality maybe is what is needed cos Barty seems to be suggesting an opposition between the two. I've only read the original post the once though so I might be wrong. Quite a lot to unpack inside that post. Dyad threw me straight off

sadmanbarty

Yeah thinking about it, I'm not sure dyad is the correct word after all. I think duality maybe is what is needed cos Barty seems to be suggesting an opposition between the two. I've only read the original post the once though so I might be wrong. Quite a lot to unpack inside that post. Dyad threw me straight off

there's not an opposition between them i don't think.

i think in my own mind and on dissensus we tend to emphasise the sci fi, but it occurred to me today that god/magic element is crucial. that the sci fi on its own doesn't operate with the same splendour and intensity.

catalog

I mean there probably is something in that, the trouble with murdering your authority is that you need something beyond yourself ultimately, as motivation to aspire to

catalog

there's not an opposition between them i don't think.

i think in my own mind and on dissensus we tend to emphasise the sci fi, but it occurred to me today that god/magic element is crucial. that the sci fi on its own doesn't operate with the same splendour and intensity.

Ah right yes then I think dyad might be the correct word after all, well done.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the problem with the divine is it can often become a placeholder for corruption and hypocrisy.

i agree with barty that sci fi and magic aren't mutually antagonistic, i just think its easy to focus on parody sci fi and diminish the role of parody magic, because one is supposed to exist in the ethereal realm and the other is not. i find that a dangerous misstep.