Cringeworthy

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't feel patriotic at all most of the time except when other people attack England. Then I ripple with rage and feel fit to spear a Frenchman in a field.

sadmanbarty

i do think britain's reputation is completely off. we're the most emotionally honest and the most sexually liberated people in the world.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Tribalism is such a strong instinct, it's as strong as the sex drive.

And unlike the sex drive, it's a drive I can easily satisfy - by hating ILX, for example.

See also: Anders Breivik.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I reckon this cuts both ways though. I'd also cringe if someone I knew irl were to transcribe the boring, fumbling conversations I have with them and post them on Dissensus.

This is a good post cos it flags up how we have about 10 different faces that we display to different people, and when two different groups meet in our presence it's almost invariably horrible.

The anti patriotic schtick isn’t just about colonial guilt, it’s also a class signifier which you did touch on. It’s gauche to be patriotic. True power doesn’t need to sell itself. All that understated class confidence and practiced deference and self deprecation is part of the game. That’s your patriotism. There’s so much pride in it.

Reactions: RWY

luka

I discovered that there is nothing more hilarious and entertaining than making the universes collide.

luka

I used to take them all on a bike ride. Scout leader. The middle class ones from Hampstead the Africans the West Indians the cockneys the Essex boys. Everyone together. Some of the best days I've had. Everyone bonded by a love of smoking weed in the sun shine.

I enjoy that too. Bringing different friend groups or family together and watching what happens. They always unite in insulting you and laughing at your inadequacies, connecting over their common enemy.

luka

I enjoy that too. Bringing different friend groups or family together and watching what happens. They always unite in insulting you and laughing at your inadequacies, connecting over their common enemy.

Exactly.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The anti patriotic schtick isn’t just about colonial guilt, it’s also a class signifier which you did touch on. It’s gauche to be patriotic. True power doesn’t need to sell itself. All that understated class confidence and practiced deference and self deprecation is part of the game. That’s your patriotism. There’s so much pride in it.

Yeah the English (presumably the middle-upper especially) are proud of their sense of irony. We'll always bash the yanks with this. "No sense of irony, those Americans". And those of us who are above that stereotyping stuff like to still bash them with it, but with irony.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What we're like is like Scar in The Lion King. America is Mufasa - our virile, rapacious big brother who took over the pride when we were promised it.

There we are, sneering in the shadows. Evil but sexy.

luka

Is that tonight's compulsory house mate movie? All snuggled up under the duvet together. Big bowl of doritos with nacho cheese dip. Bottle of Lambrusco.