Worst songs you've ever heard?

luka

That Seal song? Can't stand it.
A voice, sweettoned and sustained, called to him from the sea. Turning the curve he waved his hand. It called again. A sleek brown head, a seal’s, far out on the water, round.

Usurper.

luka

Reminds me of Vic Reeves 'club singer.' A lot of things make me uneasy about it too. It's probably written and performed by an algorithm. I doubt there's been any human involvement,

luka

They feed the algorithm music of the past and it regurgitates something entirely new yet disquietingly familiar. It's a machine they made in Sweden.

version

Awhile back thirdform posted a jazz-influenced dnb tune by, I think, Peshay that is far worse than you could imagine even based on that description. Couldn't find it, but in my search I did come across this which is also fairly heinous. I mean, just look at the title.

A very funny piece of music.

linebaugh

had a dream recently where i met unkle adams. he was surprisingly witty and debonair. i started to notice he wasn't actually responding to anything i was saying, just carrying on in a sort of narcissistic monologue. so i stopped talking and just let him ramble on continuously.

Cant recomend these two videos enough

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
good timing, was just remembering the other day how unk had “YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE ONE” taped to his mirror. lolcow documentaries are easily the most poignant content on youtube. this one is a classic too, although i guess they need to make a part 2 now that he TKO’d boogie2988 in front of hundreds of thousands of people.

Man, lolcow content is just depressing and I think it has a net negative effect on my mental health...

linebaugh

Watch those two. Theres a part where ubkle adams buys a bunch of tvs on credit with the plan to upsell them for a profit and then in his next vlog update he tells us that that didnt work while in a room filled with boxed tvs

mvuent

Void Dweller
Man, lolcow content is just depressing and I think it has a net negative effect on my mental health...
thought this had some interesting stuff about the lolcow dynamic. i guess the gist of it being that the lolcow isn't so much an atomized individual as the focal point of, uh, a "lolcow vortex" of negative energy that can be just as damaging to the specators. (the don jolly vid that's being summarized and sort of critiqued is also excellent imo.)

The phenomenon of internet spectatorship should be familiar to you if you have ever come in contact with communities dedicated to lolcows. Lolcow is the name that has been given to the deranged user who is the object of entertainment for the detached user. It has always been the case that certain vulnerable people are taken up as objects of fascination and mockery by the general population but, as with all aspects of human sociability, this phenomenon is given new life and transformed by the internet. The “rules” that SA users created can be seen as one of the first articulations of how the spectators within this social phenomenon seek to justify their actions to themselves in light of the existence of the internet. The rules offer a way of seeing the entire internet that inherently justifies the role of the spectator and vilifies the deranged. Through the action of spectating, the spectator comes to see himself as the sole possessor of rationality, as the subject who has managed to hold on to his wits despite “staring into the void” while those who were weaker than him, the poor but contemptible deranged subjects, have fallen prey to madness. The madness of the deranged subject is induced by the way in which the deranged subject allows himself to be consumed by the internet, he allows it to answer his prayers and satisfy his wants. Jolly’s example of the furry convention incident is again worth noting, as the real lesson one is supposed to take from it is that both the terrorist who intended to murder attendees with chlorine gas AND the atendees are equally as pitiable, for they have both allowed themselves to be consumed (albeit in different ways) and have both become deranged. The greatest fear, for the spectator, is that he should let his critical faculties slip, and become a lolcow himself.

It is vital for this way of seeing that the spectating subject remains, as Jolly says, “detached”. Detachment from not only both the deranged subject and the internet, but also oneself is necessary to cover up a contradiction at the core of spectatorship. The contradiction, as you might have guessed, is that there is never any clear difference between the way in which the deranged subject is deranged and the way in which the spectator is also deranged. In reality, to find oneself on either side of this interaction one must have already let themselves become consumed by the internet. The observation has been made many times that those who are most active within lolcow discussion boards have a tendency to transform themselves into lolcows. Essentially, everyone who spends a really long time on the internet is made into a freak in some way. Similar to the concept of the narcissism of small differences, the creation of lolcow spectatorship is an act of denial, of separation where no meaningful distinction should exist.

The most widely known lolcow is also the most definitive example of the contradiction between detached and deranged subject. Christine Weston Chandler has been raised to the status of celebrity through the lolcow spectator community, and the recent events surrounding her arrest demonstrate a complete breakdown of the spectator distinction. In 2021, CWC was arrested for abusing her elderly mother. It was later found out that the primary reason this had happened was because of a prolonged manipulation tactic by a long-time spectator of CWC. Once this aspect of the story was brought to light, lolcow communities wasted no time in canonizing the manipulator as just one more deranged object of fascination, but few actually picked up on the implications of what had occurred. This event reveals the detached/deranged distinction to be a complete lie. The path of the spectator, far from being the sole path to rationality, instead leads to derangement far worse than any of the supposedly deranged subjects to which they stand in opposition. The CWC incident demonstrates the complete failure of what the SA users had intended with the creation of their rules. Despite maintaining a cool detachment through humor, the internet still made the spectators “stupid”. In fact, the spectators reached a new level of blind cruel stupidity that transcended most of the supposedly deranged subjects they mocked.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
thought this had some interesting stuff about the lolcow dynamic. i guess the gist of it being that the lolcow isn't so much an atomized individual as the focal point of, uh, a "lolcow vortex" of negative energy that can be just as damaging on the specators. (the don jolly vid that's being summarized and sort of critiqued is also excellent imo.)
The blurring of the line between spectator and lunatic described in your article is good enough reason to never consume lolcow content!