Has quarantine changed your ears?

Leo

droid, do you mean you used to listen on headphones while riding your bike to and from work? isn't that dangerous?

kumar

he must be wild and dangerous like me, cycling is the best for listening to music, espically radio cos you can go to different parts of town and get a whole set of new stations

droid

droid, do you mean you used to listen on headphones while riding your bike to and from work? isn't that dangerous?

Opinions are divided, but its pretty much completely fine. The bike has been my main mode of transport for nearly 30 years and I cant imagine cycling without music. Awareness when cycling is all about the visual sense and in the city, car noise is everywhere anyway. If you're depending on your ears to alert you of danger you're doing something very wrong to begin with. IMO the only real hazard is getting distracted by the music.

That said, I use leaky earbuds so Im not completely isolated. I can still hear screeching brakes or car horns, and I do a shitload of lifesaver looks over the shoulder as well.

droid

And if you do a lot of music work on a computer, that time listening away from the screen is absolutely essential for perspective.

luka

The tethering of music to the screen is what I most resent about the current model. I know it's not compulsory but it's hard to get away from.

droid

Also, (and this is marginally more dangerous) cycling through the suburbs as they sleep, stoned out of your mind and blasting music is one of the greatest pleasures in life. Ill often go out of my way to cycle when easier options are available just for that experience.

kumar

i used to work with this guy who was hardcore anti helmet, worst mistake of my life was cycling to that job he never shut up about it. out of all the possible causes to commit yourself he chose anti helmet campaigning

droid

Its a divisive topic, and for good reason. On balance I come down on the pro side, but there's some extremely good arguments against them, especially when they are legislated for.

Fundamentally, the only thing that has actually been proven to make cycling safer is more cyclists, and forcing people to wear helmets results in less people cycling.