version

Anyone have any thoughts on the way therapy's used in the context of cancellations? I'm talking in the sense of the media and the public pushing apologetic celebrities into it. Some people need it, but I don't think everyone does and it feels as though it's becoming something people feel they have to do in order to sate the mob and prove they're making a change.

version

The donation to a charity too, although I think there's a sinister component to the therapy thing as you've essentially got the media and general public convincing someone they're mentally ill and pushing them into handing their time, health and money over to whoever pops up claiming they can help.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of people just lied about it to get people off their back on social media. Just knock out a statement with the right words, claim you're doing therapy etc etc.

version

The stuff that he got away with is phenomenal. I can still vividly remember him rubbing his crotch over Kylie at the Brit awards. Taylor Parkes said he looked like Arthur Mullard moonwalking, which was was true.
He's always had a creepiness to him. Reminds me of this guy,

• Haha
Reactions: sus

entertainment

Haven't liked the term 'cancel culture.' From what I gather It has sort of consolidated all criticisms of this moralistic pendantic branch of twitter progressives into a single very narrow point, the actual 'cancellations,' and now all criticism hinges upon a person actually having severe material consequences inflicted upon them.

If someone isn't actually 'cancelled', then 'cancel culture' doesn't exist and then any related complaints are parried in the process.

But obviously a 'cancellation' is just one extreme contingency of this trend of preachy dogmatism. And logically it would follow that we will see less and less of them as people will read the room and start to self-censor whatever tainted views they hold.

There are widely distributed effects of this culture or whatever that all in all are worse, I think, than the concentrated individual doses. The moral assuredness, the school yard exclusionary tactics, the insufferable in-group vernacular, the victim-complex humanism.

Not an expert on the ideology of it all but from what I gather most of their ideas are fine if not a little boring. It's the style though, not the content, that I object to mostly.

Last edited:

chava

heard rumours of Renaat not paying people properly before of course. But tbh its indemic amongst dance labels. some just manage to turn something temporary into mini fiefdoms, which is evidently what happened with R&S.
Sure, sure. He did name the label after himself and his wife (partner?) after all.

This was the first RA article I've seen with an all-out trigger warning btw. I am so grateful they did this for me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Sure, sure. He did name the label after himself and his wife (partner?) after all.

This was the first RA article I've seen with an all-out trigger warning btw. I am so grateful they did this for me.

Yeah that trigger warning stuff is utterly ridiculous in this context.

I tbf tend to sour off dance labels when they become these kinds of fiefdoms or micro-corporations. Warp was better when it was a sheffield label putting out bleep techno. When it started signing indie bands like Broadcast and Grizzly Bear or whoever, nah. R&S should have stayed in the 90s.

chava

Yeah that trigger warning stuff is utterly ridiculous in this context.

I tbf tend to sour off dance labels when they become these kinds of fiefdoms or micro-corporations. Warp was better when it was a sheffield label putting out bleep techno. When it started signing indie bands like Broadcast and Grizzly Bear or whoever, nah. R&S should have stayed in the 90s.
Agreed. Dance labels should stick to their game and then die before growing to big (ie: catering to the indie demographic).

Re this trigger warning I am just totally bewildered reading that again. I feel so old and out-of-touch, and I couldn't finish that article without bursting out laughing several times over. I mean who the f*ck (I censored that myself) cares about some dumbass techno dude being a Holocaust denier/edgelord? I mean WTF?

Last edited:

boxedjoy

the thing with trigger warnings is they aren't designed for people who aren't bothered by this stuff. I think of it as being like when you would watch UK TV after 9pm in the 90s - "this show contains scenes of a sexual/violent nature" - thanks, I hate gore so I'm not going to enjoy this, absolutely no problem if anyone else wants to, but it's not for me.

I don't think it's for me to tell someone what they shouldn't be made uncomfortable by, regardless of how logical or how nonsensical it seems to me. I have a very real fear of frogs and my reaction to ever seeing one is horror and panic, and I appreciate knowing when one is going to appear so I can avoid it, even though 99% of people would find my near-phobia to be bewildering if not hilarious.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The term is highly politicised despite playing a key role in trauma therapy, as has safe space

Until anyone sees the profound changes an understanding of triggers and/or safe spaces serve in recovery from grotesque life events, seeing it dropped into an R&S article is beyond farcical

Academics have been among the worst proponents, appropriating where inappropriate and delegitimising hard fought gains by handing complete cunts easy slurs

chava

the thing with trigger warnings is they aren't designed for people who aren't bothered by this stuff. I think of it as being like when you would watch UK TV after 9pm in the 90s - "this show contains scenes of a sexual/violent nature" - thanks, I hate gore so I'm not going to enjoy this, absolutely no problem if anyone else wants to, but it's not for me.

I don't think it's for me to tell someone what they shouldn't be made uncomfortable by, regardless of how logical or how nonsensical it seems to me. I have a very real fear of frogs and my reaction to ever seeing one is horror and panic, and I appreciate knowing when one is going to appear so I can avoid it, even though 99% of people would find my near-phobia to be bewildering if not hilarious.
Thing is people have phobias of nearly anything. That doesn't mean we put warning stickers all over the place; well maybe in America idk. If you can sue a company for serving too hot a cup a coffee, you can probably sue a company for inducing a phobia related event by showing a picture of Adolf Hitler.

boxedjoy

but this isn't about people wanting to "sue" or anything like that. It's just saying: hey, this content contains things that may be difficult for some people, others will not be bothered, make your own decision and proceed with caution if you think it might not be for you. Do I personally think a mention of Hitler warrants such a warning, not really. Does it bother me that the warning exists, not at all, and I can't imagine it ever being a concern to me.

boxedjoy

I remember in school the day the people from organ donation came to ask us if we wanted to register for it. I was fully 100% on board. But they wanted us to sit through a 20-minute video of people who had been impaled in car crashes etc. I'm terrible with that stuff - I can't even watch CSI without wincing - so I excused myself. It would probably have been worse than anything I could imagine seeing and I'm glad I had the opportunity to self-select out.

chava

I remember in school the day the people from organ donation came to ask us if we wanted to register for it. I was fully 100% on board. But they wanted us to sit through a 20-minute video of people who had been impaled in car crashes etc. I'm terrible with that stuff - I can't even watch CSI without wincing - so I excused myself. It would probably have been worse than anything I could imagine seeing and I'm glad I had the opportunity to self-select out.
Maybe there's very real difference between visual media and written text here? Not that I think Triumph of The Will needs a trigger warning.