Rudewhy's Speed Garage Top 100

RWY

Leokadia - Baby (Ruff Necks Mix)

Big rolling warper fit for a Digbeth warehouse but it’s those key stabs peppered throughout that really do it for me.

Last edited:

RWY

Kommand Kemistry - Kemistry (Mix 1)

It's Aaliyah's 'One In A Million' vocals over the top of the loudest reese bassline in Speed Garage - what more could you want? There's another track by Smile Orange which uses these vocals but I decided not to include it on this list as I reckon this one is the better of the two.

Last edited:

RWY

Tera - Decade

'Trance Speed Garage' is one of the odder styles of Speed Garage and most of the tracks that come under that description are Euro productions, however this one appears to have been made by a UK producer. The original of this is one of the biggest Trance anthems of the 90s and, understandably, may not be to everyone's taste - you're certainly not going to be able to slip this one into your 'Vinyl only UKG special' on Peckham's Balamii radio but I imagine it would go down well if you dropped it at sunrise at a freeparty in the South Downs National Park.

Last edited:

RWY

Sound Boy - 42 Gun Bad Boy

I found this one in Reckless Records in Soho years ago, was proper buzzing at the time as it's quite unusual to find the rarer white labels in stores as most have long passed into the hands of collectors - generally, discogs is the primary marketplace where they exchange hands. I (stupidly) sold that copy to a relatively well known London based DJ last year and have regretted doing so ever since. Big tune.

Last edited:

RWY

SLY - Badbwoy

If I was trying to explain Speed Garage to someone who knew nothing about dance music, I'd probably play them 'Badbwoy'. This one reminds me of Sheffield as I first came across it on an old Niche mix CD and have heard it played out at a few warehouse parties up there. Used to be fairly expensive and difficult to pick up a physical copy (especially the pictured clear vinyl edition) but it had a re-release last year on an Italian House label and is currently avaliable to buy from most online record stores - make of that what you will.

Last edited:

RWY

Lisa Stansfield - The Line (Loop Da Loop Downtown Dub)

It's the late nineties and we're in a club somewhere in South Yorkshire. The air is thick with the smell of blueberry cheese. The DJ has just dropped this one and suddenly it's kickin' off big time - the front door’s been rushed, a bouncer’s been stabbed, pints are flying past our heads and someone’s just emptied their glock into the ceiling. Perfection.

Last edited:

RWY

Maria Nayler - Naked & Sacred (R.I.P's Wah Wah Dub)

What does love mean?
Can love last?
I ask myself these questions
Haunted by the past

Last edited:

RWY

Todd Terry presents Shannon - It’s Over Love (Loop Da Loop Mix)

This was the very first Speed Garage record I bought. There used to be a skateboard shop in the town I grew up in which never made any sense to me as the town had neither a skatepark nor any of the street architecture typical of bigger cities that attracts skateboarders. God knows how it stayed open for as long as it did. The shop finally closed down the year I started sixth form college and for about 6 months some guy moved into the premises to sell off his record collection. From what I can remember, he was mostly selling Prog Rock LPs and Reggae 7”s but he also had these huge crates of “dance music” records that he was selling for 50p a record. Most of the stuff in those crates was horrific Trance and Progressive House but this record caught my eye as I’d heard of Todd Terry and knew he was a US producer who made some sort of “Garage”. I asked if I could play this on the turntable that was set up in the shop and was completely blown away. I just could not believe that in this shop full of manky old records I had absolutely no interest in listening to or buying, I’d found the thing I’d been searching most for for the previous year in more acclaimed stores such as Music & Video Exchange in Soho and Rhythm Division in Bow - by far the best 50p I’ve ever spent.

Last edited:

RWY

DJ Renegade - Gangsta (076 Bumbaclaat Dub)

Sounds exactly the same as half of the other tracks in this list but it's got that famous Goodfellas sample just before the drop that sends people absolutely mental.

Last edited:

RWY

The M.F. Project - 9-5

It’s about going to work and not wanting nobody else. This has also recently been re-released and I think there are still copies available from dnrvinyl.co.uk.

Last edited:

RWY

Roger Ruff - Do Ya (Great Bass Mix)

Huge, huge, huge track - this is probably number one on a lot of other collector’s lists. The bassline on this was mimicked in a lot of those bassline house tracks that came out of Birmingham and Sheffield in the mid-noughties.

Last edited:

RWY

Linda Newman - Got To Have Faith (Bass Mix)

Spent years trying to ID this track - like many others on this list, it's a good one for wallowing in self pity after a relationship break up. Apparently former dissensian Ben UFO 'caned this at boomtown on a very soggy Friday' which, I guess, is good to know.

Last edited:

RWY

Joy Foundation - Space Of Mind (The Young Hoodlums' Mix)

William Gibson sampling darkside sci-fi garage badness

Last edited:

RWY

Dopeheadz - Do My Very Best (Club Mix)

The Euro Speed Garage anthem - I really hope this one was played at one of the Love Parades.

Last edited:

RWY

Booom! - Hold Your Head Up (Julian Jonah’s Bad Boy Mix)

First heard ‘Hold Your Head Up High’ on a recording of an EZ set from a Sidewinder at the Brunel Rooms in Swindon in 2001. The rest of the set is predominantly Dark Garage/early Grime and he mixes it in very quickly from the breakdown towards the end of the set - you can literally hear the place explode when it drops. I think this was the second Speed Garage record I ever bought and I always used to play it out at my local club during sixth form (I also made an edit of it where I re-recorded it from the breakdown, pitched up to 140 so I could pretend to be EZ when I was drunk.) Must have listened to this track thousands of times and I’m still not bored of it. Massive.

Last edited:

Woebot

I've been meaning to put this together for a while now but I previously just didn't have the time (or energy) to commit to it. I've intentionally left out most of the big classics (RIP Groove, Gunman, Hype The Funk etc.) as everyone and their uncle has heard these tracks countless times before. I'm sure there are some people on here who hate this stuff and see it as an abomination of everything that's great about Hardcore, Jungle and UK Garage but I unashamedly love it - enjoy.

special request. can you build one of them youtube playlists with all of them in it when you've finished? pretty please. [EDIT actually dont worry i can just listen here]

Last edited by a moderator:

Woebot

Booom! - Hold Your Head Up (Julian Jonah’s Bad Boy Mix)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o3AGZdTDhb0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First heard ‘Hold Your Head Up High’ on a recording of an EZ set from a Sidewinder at the Brunel Rooms in Swindon in 2001. The rest of the set is predominantly Dark Garage/early Grime and he mixes it in very quickly from the breakdown towards the end of the set - you can literally hear the place explode when it drops. I think this was the second Speed Garage record I ever bought and I always used to play it out at my local club during sixth form (I also made an edit of it where I re-recorded it from the breakdown, pitched up to 140 so I could pretend to be EZ when I was drunk.) Must have listened to this track thousands of times and I’m still not bored of it. Massive.

uk peeps. i got this via a vpn and ripped it. i'll see if i can get a moment and scan through others we arent able to hear next week.

PM me for link.

Last edited by a moderator:

craner

Beast of Burden
Canonical performance Rudewhy. You've put a laser focus on a tightly time-bound sound, magnified a speck. I can't thank you enough.

luka

Canonical performance Rudewhy. You've put a laser focus on a tightly time-bound sound, magnified a speck. I can't thank you enough.

There was a speed garage shaped hole in dissensus and you've filled it. Sadly there's so many youtubes that the first 2 pages just crash my machine.