version

Weirdly, I jokingly stuck a tag on the Nick Land thread ages ago that just said "Hawaiian Shirt Day".

entertainment

another thing about twitter, there's such an automatic tendency to place people on that little coordinate system in your head. what's their take on that? what group do they fall in on this subject? you want them organized nice and neatly into boxes. i do this, everybody does this.

it's a reflexive process. you see people in boxes and you start behaving accordingly. tribal lines are drawn up. declare your loyalty at every turn or be excommunicated.

sometimes you feel you are expected to lie, to concede your world view to the cause. lying reinforces loyalty of course. it's a method of fortifying the ranks.

it starts out innocuously. adding nuance is pedantery, useless. why are you undermining the message with useless details?

but then it grows...

the bigger the lie, the higher the sunk cost of comitting to it. sunk costs = psychological investment = eschewing doubt and skepticism.

entertainment

another thing is how instead of disputing a certain viewpoint on its terms, people smear it,, make fun of it, paint it as so clueless that the viewpoint is a satire of anyone on that side. make it so anyone who would consider the viewpoint is preemptively scared off in fear of humiliation.

a popular way of doing this is this annoying thing: "tHis PoSiTiOn iS sO LaMe It'S BeYoNd SaTiRe"

version

Putting aside how shit the show is - and it is shit - where do people stand on this? Do you agree with taking it down?

entertainment

another thing about twitter, there's such an automatic tendency to place people on that little coordinate system in your head. what's their take on that? what group do they fall in on this subject? you want them organized nice and neatly into boxes. i do this, everybody does this.

it's a reflexive process. you see people in boxes and you start behaving accordingly. tribal lines are drawn up. declare your loyalty at every turn or be excommunicated.

sometimes you feel you are expected to lie, to concede your world view to the cause. lying reinforces loyalty of course. it's a method of fortifying the ranks.

it starts out innocuously. adding nuance is pedantery, useless. why are you undermining the message with useless details?

but then it grows...

the bigger the lie, the higher the sunk cost of comitting to it. sunk costs = psychological investment = eschewing doubt and skepticism.

from McLuhan's Playboy interview:

"But most people, from truck drivers to the literary Brahmins, are still blissfully ignorant of what the media do to them; unaware that because of their pervasive effects on man, it is the medium itself that is the message, not the content, and unaware that the medium is also the message–that, all puns aside, it literally works over and saturates and molds and transforms every sense ratio. The content or message of any particular medium has about as much importance as the stenciling on the casing of an atomic bomb"

john eden

male pale and stale
Putting aside how shit the show is - and it is shit - where do people stand on this? Do you agree with taking it down?

I don't really give a shit to be honest. The people who are defending it and saying that it's Orwellian and doing the mock horror thing about "ooh people are saying that anyone who ever enjoyed the programme is a racist how very dare they" are more irritating than the people who are saying its shit and should be taken down. It's not like I would ever watch it again.

It was, on reflection, shit for a whole number of reasons.

version

I don't really care about Little Britain, but then I do find myself wondering where the line's drawn. Is everything which can be deemed offensive going to be removed? What'll my opinion be if something I actually find valuable receives the same treatment?

john eden

male pale and stale
I don't really care about Little Britain, but then I do find myself wondering where the line's drawn. Is everything which can be deemed offensive going to be removed? What'll my opinion be if something I actually find valuable receives the same treatment?

I think it’s so tokenistic that you don’t need to worry. It’s literally the minimum effort for these media companies to appear like they care.