version

My worry is it's the media companies who increasingly dictate what people watch, read and listen to. A lot of people don't own things anymore. They rely on subscription services and are at the mercy of Netflix, Amazon, Spotify and the rest.

john eden

male pale and stale
My worry is it's the media companies who increasingly dictate what people watch, read and listen to. A lot of people don't own things anymore. They rely on subscription services and are at the mercy of Netflix, Amazon, Spotify and the rest.

Yeah that is a reasonable worry. But worth remembering that having all this stuff on tap is a very recent thing. And if people in Russia in the 80s had to press records onto X-ray photos from hospitals, weirdness will find a way.

version

I was talking to a friend recently who's a filmmaker and he was pissed off because getting any sort of arts funding's become so political he's forced to use his sexuality as part of his pitch in order to stand a chance.

entertainment

Politics is pervasive these days. Music journalism is completely steeped in it. Has it always been like this? On and off the surface, you just smell it, feel it tugging.

That's why I've been looking forward to the return of football. One of the few spaces that are still fractional without being political. We need it back to soak up some of these tribalistic impulses.

entertainment

I think that would be a better life probably. You spend an evening keeping up with this advancing catastrophe and go to bed feeling empty inside.

It's no duty of ours to drain ourselves of nourishment.

martin

----
Putting aside how shit the show is - and it is shit - where do people stand on this? Do you agree with taking it down?

I feel it's important to be consistent on this and oppose attempts at censorship whenever they crop up. I've always had this 'all bets are off' mentality when it comes to 'the arts': like you say, something you find valuable could well get banned 'n' canned because of one dodgy line or sentiment, or because somebody deems it offensive and 'dangerous'. I can think of loads of 'problematic' films, books and records that I'm glad exist.

THAT SAID - and even though I've never watched more than 2 minutes of Little Britain and only know there's a recurrent sketch where a bloke in a wheelchair pretends to be disabled and someone wears a fat suit and blackface - I'm happy to be an UTTER hypocrite and cheer its removal. Without exception, EVERYONE I worked with in the 2000s who found it funny - and/or quoted bits of it - and/or told me I 'had to watch it' - were fucking irritating dullards who the rest of us would do our best to avoid, and certainly never went down the pub with after work.

If doing nothing when 'they' came for Little Britain means they also come for Sex & The City, Friends and Big Bang Theory, well...yeah, sorry Pastor Niemoller. Couldn't care less.

(Of course, you can buy these boxsets off eBay for pennies, or at least cheaper than a Netflix sub, and there are still dozens of old documentaries, films, TV one-offs I want to see that aren't on Netflix and haven't even made the internet, so what's all the fucking fuss about?)

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I'd certainly add Emily Howard to their catalogue of shit. If it had been an insider pisstake of transvestite culture (as with Matt Lucas' "only gay in the village"), and David Walliams had come out as such, that might have been different. But he didn't and it wasn't. Instead, it just created a crass jibe to be thrown at trans women in the street on a daily basis.

So, yes, I'm pleased Little Britain has been taken down and, more, that David Walliams and Matt Lucas are being shown up as complete arseholes.

And it's not that they were incapable of doing better stuff; e.g. the Carol Beer "computer says no" sketches are really quite funny.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Netflix has taken down The League Of Gentlemen because of Papa Lazarou, which is a bit wtf, as he's not actually meant to be a black character or even a white character who is pretending to be black. He's clearly not even human, he's just this inexplicable nightmarish entity.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And it's not that they were incapable of doing better stuff; e.g. the Carol Beer "computer says no" sketches are really quite funny.
Lucas as the bullying, patronising Weight Watchers leader was good, too.

But yeah, much of their stuff seems to rely on punching down.

luka

this is presented as if it is part of the current wave of statue removals but i think it happened ages ago. that kind of thing is part of what makes twitter fun.
MOTSWANA

@LEPARA_7

·
Jun 12

A RACIST. STUDENTS FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF GHANA REMOVING GHANDI'S STATUE.

luka

i dont consider anything on a major platform like the bbc to be 'art' anymore. no hollywood film, nothing on a major label. nothing played on mainstream radio. i've cancelled it all. that's my response to Martin. it's not art it's just the slop on the feed tray. even if you like it.

sufi

lala
I'd certainly add Emily Howard to their catalogue of shit. If it had been an insider pisstake of transvestite culture (as with Matt Lucas' "only gay in the village"), and David Walliams had come out as such, that might have been different. But he didn't and it wasn't. Instead, it just created a crass jibe to be thrown at trans women in the street on a daily basis.

So, yes, I'm pleased Little Britain has been taken down and, more, that David Walliams and Matt Lucas are being shown up as complete arseholes.

Glad to see odious Walliams taking a kicking - he has moved into kids' books, and styles himself the new Raold Dahl (who was a stinking racist if I'm not wrong?)

catalog

Was he? I actually love Roald Dahl, read a lot by him as a kid and was well in. Must've read the twits 10 time at least. And boy and George's marvellous medicine were good.

catalog

Yeah, his imagination and how he followed things through to insanity. The intricate plots. George's marvellous medicine was mind blowing when I first read it. I liked his setup as well, used to go sit in his shed dint he.

luka

its cool how when theres a big culture war moment like the very recent supreme court ruling you have various targets you can go to for your crowing. this is Ben Shapiro's twitter for instance. lots of merrry crowing in the replies. feels very wholesome. pantomime.

catalog

presumably heroes have been reassessed and torn down on a regular basis throughout history.

what does it say about us now that we are doing it even more? or is it just the comms and social media of it all?