Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
So far the only philosophers of whom I have read at least one complete work are as follows:

Machiavelli
Rousseau
Neitzsche
Descartes
Lucretius
Plato
Kierkegaard
Aristotle
Freud

You could maybe count Madison, Hamilton, Hayek, George, Dante, Fanon, Feynman, as philosophers, arguable. Of that list, Machiavelli might be my favorite, or Neitzsche.

Deleuze, McLuhan, Chomsky, Simondon, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Weil, James Baldwin, Zizek, I’ve only read short papers

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I just reformatted Machiavelli's Discourses on Livy into markdown, so I can bring it (and other books) into an Obsidian vault for researh purposes, similar to what I saw @sus doing a while back.

DLaurent

I remember when I used to think Vico had explained something important to me, something to do with him being right and Descartes being wrong, but I've forgotten all that. I suppose I prefer pop Freudian psychology to philosophy now, but only at a base level.

kid charlemagne

is philosophy something that I "should" read? like are there certain philosophers i should read similar to there are certain litertature authors ive read because i "should" read them

dilbert1

is philosophy something that I "should" read? like are there certain philosophers i should read similar to there are certain litertature authors ive read because i "should" read them
This is a pretty deep philosophical question...

I think overview books like these can help you decide for yourself. If someone tells you you absolutely have to read one philosopher or the other, they've probably got some kind of agenda (which if transparent is fine) or are trying to push their personal taste on you. Better to figure out what you like and are interested in before diving head first into primary literature, IMO. Like if I had to answer, I'd say read Nietzsche, the Genealogy or something. But here are two of those overview books. The Geuss one is great, I got a lot out of it, I'd go with it if you were to pick one (didn't realize the Sedgwick was so expensive damn), he's a philosopher himself studied in the continental tradition, but was trained in and writes like an analytic type, which is to say he writes his arguments with a generous amount of clarity and straightforwardness. He can also be pretty funny. The second one covers more ground but is a little dryer, more like a textbook, no less a good resource, though. Obviously both sport a European bias which kind of goes without saying.

kid charlemagne

intradesting. i appreciate the response. initially i thought wouldnt it be worth just reading the philosophers instead of an overview, but your reasoning makes sense. but if one were to go to a book store and look for certain books or philosophers or "gateway" books to get some sort of sense, what may be worth looking for? I mainly ask and enter this thread knowing and hearing names, but not who they are or what they believe, and then of course whether it is worth looking into at all

Ian Scuffling

intradesting. i appreciate the response. initially i thought wouldnt it be worth just reading the philosophers instead of an overview, but your reasoning makes sense. but if one were to go to a book store and look for certain books or philosophers or "gateway" books to get some sort of sense, what may be worth looking for? I mainly ask and enter this thread knowing and hearing names, but not who they are or what they believe, and then of course whether it is worth looking into at all
I've had multiple philosophy courses start with Heraclitus' fragments and Plato's Symposium. But that's only if you want to start at the beginning so to speak. You'd probably like Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra. If you're interested in Marx start here