R&B you should know and love

luka

luka

i also think it's good in that it doesn't condescend to black men by treating them as if they were a special case. which a lot of white criticism does. its one of his best.

I liked that essay a lot.

whats he getting at here...?
When you dive into these electro-oceanic depths, Nothing Was the Same ceases to be a fascinating symptom of all the blockages of the present, and becomes a longing for something new, something strange and lovely

luka

I liked that essay a lot.

whats he getting at here...?

i assume it's about the sonic world the record is embedded in and how it differs from what went before it. it's a sonic break more than a thematic break in a way

luka

electro-oceanic depths in other words. that's what music has become about. a narcotic realm both sinister and seductive.

luka

this becomes central. it moves away from the macho sound world of wagner rap in a quite a radical way.

luka

these zones of feeling we learn to abandon ourself to and we are hereby given permission to abandon ourself to.

luka

there are precursors in all sorts of other genres at any number of different time periods but the important thing is that it is happening here, in rap music.

linebaugh

I don't think you end up with the emo rap stuff on SoundCloud and the whole being miserable in your big mansion thing without Drake.
I think it was going to happen regardless. It was going to be someone in Drakes spot, but it didn't necessarily need to be Drake..