The Garden of Forking Paths

sus

wait wait hold up how are Leibnitz's monads, the garden of forking paths, and fractals tied up. It seems like they are but it isn't quite clicking to me

sus

it's a quote from a famous poem called prediction tablet.

soon to be published on not nothing press, though no one has seen the manuscript and it is possible the entire thing is a madman's mental invention, a complete fantasy

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Liebniz was mentioned in the Deleuze quote (believe it was a deleuze quote) that Luka mentioned.

I was just clarifying what was meant by Liebnizian.

We can say that the monad is fractal, I suppose, to the extent that it resembles the set of all monads. You "press into" the monad to find that its parts (reflections of other monads?) are each, themselves, comprised of "secondary" reflections, and you now have this *ahem* fractal differance.

As it relates to garden of forking paths, I would be almost purely speculating/extrapolating, seeing as I haven't read it in a long time, nor did I have a real understanding of it then.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Perhaps it relates to garden of forking paths in this way:

The array of monads I've been describing have been, to stick to our terms, compossible monads, ones that exist within a shared reality, each having their own perspective. It seems GoFP might be focusing not on an array of compossible monads reflecting each other, but an array of incompossible monads spread not throughout a single reality, but dispersed across parallel, potential realities, unable to reflect one another (at least in a way we mortals find clear).

Reactions: sus

sus

@constant escape check this out

Peitgen:

When we examine the development of a process over a period of time, we speak in terms used by chaos theory. When we are more interested in the structural forms which a chaotic process leaves in its wake, then we use terminology of fractal geometry, which is really the geometry whose structures are what gives order to chaos.

sus

btw, here's their definition of chaos that's important here:

> If prediction becomes impossible, it is evident that a chaotic system can resemble a stochastic system (a system subject to random external forces). However, the source of the irregularity is quite different. For chaos, the irregularity is part of the intrinsic dynamics of the system, rather than unpredictable outside influences. Chaos enables determinism and unpredictability to coexist in the same system.

sus

sold out. its the first thing you see if you click on the DMT link below though.

Wait, that was YOU in the DMT breathing technique video all along? I knew the "Deep Meditation Therapy" acronym couldn't be a coincidence.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Haven't heard of Peitgen, but he seems a perfect addition to this thread.

"then we use terminology of fractal geometry, which is really the geometry whose structures are what gives order to chaos"

I hadn't thought of fractal geometry in this way. Could we say the perfect fractal is pure order?

sus

“Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line.”

Everything in nature is a fractal... the natural result of bifurcation........ 1/2... 1/4... 1/8... 1/16........