luka

John Eden is the only other person on here who is fully commited to the idea of violent revolution. you would think third is but third's image of revolution is actually more miracle than it is violent bloody struggle and slaughter.

version

third's image of revolution is actually more miracle than it is violent bloody struggle and slaughter.
"You know what a miracle is. Not what Bakunin said. But another world's intrusion into this one. Most of the time we coexist peacefully, but when we do touch there's cataclysm. Like the church we hate, anarchists also believe in another world. Where revolutions break out spontaneous and leaderless, and the soul's talent for consensus allows the masses to work together without effort, automatic as the body itself. And yet, sena, if any of it should ever really happen that perfectly, I would also have to cry miracle. An anarchist miracle. Like your friend. He is too exactly and without flaw the thing we fight. In Mexico the privilegiado is always, to a finite percentage, redeemed one of the people. Unmiraculous. But your friend, unless he's joking, is as terrifying to me as a Virgin appearing to an Indian."

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Looks through fingers at rodent sounding twerp and lets violent thoughts pass by. La dee da dee da. All gone. Apart from a clean right hook, in the middle of the jaw. Good *crack* resonances, so he actually accelerates downwards. Just nod in agreement with him and smile, then a yeti attack CRACK.

It's ok now.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Has anyone here talked about the alt-right's relation to South Park? I just read something somewhere that argued that South Park gave rise to the alt-right, or at least properly solidified the character/ethos of the alt-right. DOn't know the source of this argument, but it stuck with me.

Something about South Park, which I think of right or wrongly as a quintessential postmodern show, seems to be hollow at the heart, or at least so densely insulated by nihilism that the heartbeat can't be detected from the outside.

I mean, South Park may be intelligent, or well-written in its trollery, but could it have influenced/enabled trollery more broadly? And could we say that trollery is one of the foundational (anti-)virtues of the alt-right?

Trollmanship? Do we have a better word?

luka

It can seem facile to credit SP with a major political shift... But that doesn't mean it isn't true

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah it could be a circular cause/effect thing, where South Park would be the expression of a transformation, an expression which administers and informs the transformation itself.

(edit: similar, at all, to how a managerial layer emerges from a more undiffentiated labor force, in the interest of optimizing productivity? Similar in that an emergent effect of a transformation can function to optimize, define, or even hasten the transformation?)

And yeah I don't think we ought to credit the show for such a shift, but perhaps it was among the foremost expressions of that shift, one the the first expressions that more or less cohesively and tangibly gave a voice to an undetermined, unformed body.

From what I remember from the show, it seemed like it had an awareness of issues without feeling compelled to rectify or solve them. But perhaps that is a broader element of satire, pointing out the farce and leaving the solution open-ended?

How does the troll relate to the trickster? Is the troll the postmodern incarnation of the trickster?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think it's quite fair to charactise South Park as entirely heartless. There is a heart there, carefully wrapped up under how ever many layers of cynicism and snark. It would be unwatchable otherwise.

Family Guy, on the other hand, really is just smugly amoral in the worst possible way.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah interesting point. When you compare South Park to Family Guy, the former does seem to have some trace heartbeat.

At the same time, something about South Park seems more malevolent, even if Family Guy is ultimately more amoral.

I feel like South Park would enjoy, if even slightly, torturing me, whereas Family Guy just wants to sit in the corner and fart.

Leo

almost every episode of SP I've seen ends with one of the characters learning a life lesson. everything leading up to the closing scene is usually, as tea said, wrapped up under how ever many layers of cynicism and snark.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think it’s fair to say that I have mixed feelings about it. But I will try not to let everyone down.

I don't think you're bloodthirsty enough for revolution.

You're kind of exactly the person who should lead something like that and that's why you never will. You'll be shoved out the way by all the power mad cunts and arseholes.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I thought kill all normies was good. She's not a great writer but it was properly researched and I think she's right, that altright took the edginess and ran with it etc
Yeah, I thought it was good on 4chan and so on, but her comparison of that with the Left didn't quite ring true for me. As an one on one comparison anyway.