Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Rebecca Ferguson can beget a male heir to the centures-long eugenically curated kwizatzz haderach bloodline with me any day
Have to say I think I prefer Francesca Annis in the Lynch version.

Attachments

• Dune-2.jpg
    Dune-2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1
Rebecca Ferguson can beget a male heir to the centures-long eugenically curated kwizatzz haderach bloodline with me any day
Yes, she's the best. But she wasn't the only reason I liked Dune so much. The spaceships! The carpeted ramp! The worm teeth! And the bagpipes were a masterstroke, proper Anglo-futurist pageantry.

Anyone seen the latest Bond? It's dull in large parts, but not the parts Ana de Armas as Paloma is in. For the dads.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't completely agree but there are some things that people (including me no doubt) have complained about in the film but which are in the book and are integral to it - if you don't like them it's not that he's adapted them badly, the problem is that you don't like Dune - or that aspect of it at least.

Don't ask me for any examples of this though please.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't completely agree but there are some things that people (including me no doubt) have complained about in the film but which are in the book and are integral to it - if you don't like them it's not that he's adapted them badly, the problem is that you don't like Dune - or that aspect of it at least.

Don't ask me for any examples of this though please.
Is it possible these bits have just not happened yet, since it's only the first film of two? For example, apparently in Part 1 there's only one Harkonnen nephew, and it's unclear whether Villeneuve has axed one of them (or sort of combined them into one character), or whether the second one will be introduced in Part 2.

(That said, it would be fairly unusual not to introduce an important character in the first part, I suppose...)

IdleRich

IdleRich
No I mean there are some things that he has done and done just as in the book, if you don't like them then blame Herbert not Villeneuve.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
No I mean there are some things that he has done and done just as in the book, if you don't like them then blame Herbert not Villeneuve.
Oh right, I getcha.

Only things I can think of are some bad expository dialogue, like the Baron Harkonnen introducing himself by his full name to his own nephew in the first scene he appears in, just so we know who he is, although a scriptwriter doesn't have to stick to that, of course.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Actually, speaking of bagpipes, I had a cool experience a few years ago when I was in Amman in December for a mate's wedding. We were mooching around the city and we walked past the Greek Catholic cathedral, and in the grounds there were some young, fashionably dressed Jordanians - playing bagpipes! Apparently it's a big part of the Christmas celebrations that the Christian community there holds in the cathedral. I think the bagpipes became a feature of the Christian culture there because there were Scottish regiments stationed there during the British protectorate, but the irony is that bagpipes come from that part of the world in the first place. The Assyrians pioneered them as a war instrument, I believe.