The Mask (and Hypocrisy)

luka

none of my friends use the internet and they all seem a bit 2 dimensional as a result. havent had the software updates.

sufi

lala
so your online mask is like fixing that transitory personality - setting it in stone, with all that entails
meaning the possibility of extreme positioning, regretful hindsight and cancellations

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I think it's more about the public and private self than the written and spoken self, probably

tho they are related - a key point seems like increases in ability to store and recall publicly expressed opinions

i.e. pre-printing press, creating physical copies of things was a v laborious process

then printing press, eventually film, the Internet - all reducing the friction, as an engineer might put it, of opinion recall

so there's a greater impetus to curate yourself

woops

is not like other people
Well honestly I'm impressed by the sheer dexterity required to switch that rapidly between 5 fully-developed and established personas. Color me confounded.
this kind of applied multiple personality disorder is not easy. it can take years to master. bear in mind @sadmanbarty only pretended to be a russian on shore leave. when @luka goes out on the pull he is a russian on shore leave.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the possibility of extreme positioning, regretful hindsight and cancellations
again, I think this is related to authenticity as a kind of currency - verified accounts etc

if anyone can hide behind a sock puppet or some other form of pseudonymity/anonymity it increases the value of authenticity

tho the relation between "actual" personality and online personality is, I'd agree with luke (and shiels?), fluid

So you got this "mask" that you're using to communicate - when does it start replacing your actual personality?

that's what happens with most of your tech, isnt it, and why twitter is driving humankind batty?

what is 'actual personality'? personality is somewhat of a mask. we only have an identity in relation to others, an audience... ie its performative and a performance is always a collaboration between art and audience. them psychoanalysts understand personality as the armour, the mask we build to protect ourselves against the unpredictability and pain and fleeting potentials for pleasure in the world

boxedjoy

Dawn_Richard_Blackheart.jpg

Always loved this Dawn Richard album cover which seems to ask: are we taking the mask off or putting it on?

sufi

lala
its definitely an upgrade.
comes back to what you were on about a lot = writing as a way to explore, to find out what you think, a journey into the unknown
what is 'actual personality'? personality is somewhat of a mask. we only have an identity in relation to others, an audience... ie its performative and a performance is always a collaboration between art and audience. them psychoanalysts understand personality as the armour, the mask we build to protect ourselves against the unpredictability and pain and fleeting potentials for pleasure in the world
so it's more like the performance takes you over, but how does that work when the performance is online and you're just a lonely git in his underwear in front of the screen

luka

working in hospitality was really a bigger factor for me than being online though in all honesty.

sufi

lala
I think it's more about the public and private self than the written and spoken self, probably

tho they are related - a key point seems like increases in ability to store and recall publicly expressed opinions

i.e. pre-printing press, creating physical copies of things was a v laborious process

then printing press, eventually film, the Internet - all reducing the friction, as an engineer might put it, of opinion recall

so there's a greater impetus to curate yourself
yes indeed - the written self, the created personaility, the projected identity or ...
the monkey

woops

is not like other people
i don't think we should take luke's hospitality jobs as case studies of mauvaise foi though

luka

i dont really do it anymore but i used to find people so tedious the only way i could survive talking to them was by turning it into a game and making up loads of stories. not lies designed to deceive exactly. just tall stories. i always felt suffocated by other people. had to make it into a performace and a fun game.

luka

i am interested in this stuff. ive been shaped by all sorts of quite different social contexts and what not. i cant go as far as shiels and say there's nothing there. that doesnt jibe with my experience. its malleable but its hard to shake the sense of some coherent something in there, buried deep down inside.