america

sus

I liked Master and Commander growing up it has that nice Galapagos Darwin scene always liked that doctor figure

version

4289f6088905f390c78cd2b56118cc45.jpg

catalog

I was thinking of starting a thread on the Irish actually, this afternoon. Lots of cultural influence both ways

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Master and commander there's a film
good film/paean to the glory of high British imperialism

"remember the good old days when we lorded it over everyone, all upper lips were stiff, Jack Tars, John Bull"

albeit the books are better, as the film totally bails on Maturin's complexities, which is what makes the books more than Boys Own adventures

catalog

I recently found out that one of the reasons the Irish are known for their bants is that they were prevented from learning how to read and write

luka

i hate ireland not really i got over it i dont mind them now but i was taught to hate them cos of my cultural background

catalog

Also the phrase daylight robbery is Irish in origin cos they were taxed for how much light came into their houses

luka

they told me my female relative were throwing rocks at the battle of the boyne. never liase with catholics they told me.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
This Is England obviously fantastic, bittersweet

all the TV miniseries followups are great too, and together they all form a Tolstoyan epic of 80s Britain

supposedly Meadows wants to do one more to cap it off set in the mid 90s, presumably during the glory days of jungle (or less fortunately, Britpop)