Catalog's Bollywood Bangers

IdleRich

IdleRich
Far from an expert but there are some killer bollywood soundtracks out there....
I also dig the ones that are covers in all but name....

Or this kraftwerk soundalike (not a particular tune but the idea). RD Burman is kinda like the Morricone of Bollywood I guess... except he actually sings on this one too, does Morricone ever do that, I don't think so.

Anyway, take it away Catalog.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well composers... of the records I have I reckon about ninety percent of them are by RD Burman or Bappi Lahiri or Kalanji-Anandji (who were two brothers and also brother to that guy Babbla who did some collectible disco albums).
Asha Bhosle (as in Brimful of...) is, I think, the most recorded singer in history, or has the most albums released with her name on or something. I once worked out she made out an album a week every week for forty years or something... she was married to RD Burman at one point.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've never watched any of these films though... which when I see these clips is probably a bit of a shame.
This is one of the few that I have not by any of the above - kinda like bumping r&b type thing, the lp has it in English and Hindi.

catalog

Ive heard of burman and boslay, deffo. Shes got a curry house in manchester now, never been though. Ok heres another classic one, i used to love this film. Raj kapoor doing charlie chaplin and being patriotic

catalog

Ive only watched the films, so its weird to pull the tunes out. This was one of my other top films but i never fancied sridevi

catalog

This is the classic mandakani song, its about how shes falling in love with the city boy but the tragedy is that hs going to ruin her life. It was quite a groundbreaking film in its day, cos nudity and adult themes

catalog

these make a nice change from that bhangra'd up busta rhymes track which seems to be the only tune out of india for about 15 years
Yeah im not overly keen on those. I was at sankeys andtheyput the knight rider sampling one on when the lights came up and i was like gimme a break.

IdleRich

IdleRich

This is the classic mandakani song, its about how shes falling in love with the city boy but the tragedy is that hs going to ruin her life. It was quite a groundbreaking film in its day, cos nudity and adult themes
I think this one was also controversial cos they take DRUGS in the scene (this is the only bollywood seven inch I have - did they do lots of them or was it a one-off? I really don't know).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Isn't Get Your Freak On based on a bollywood sample? It was fashionable for a while I suppose. Dharmatma has been sampled I'm sure.

woops

is not like other people
there's a mix out there somewhere of all the tracks timbaland sampled for his hits and they're all middle eastern songs and further east