Luke listen to this

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
'Quintessentially nineties. The bad embarrassing nineties none of us would have touched with a bargepole but at this distance it starts to sound charming doesn't it?'

Does it?

Tell me if its charming in the same way as that ambient techno, and if not, why. this is the most relevant electronic music of the 90s in terms of sheer popular appeal. surely the masses are not stupid.

@pattycakes @luka

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
huge rooms. massive space. it's deep, but not in terms of a depth you sink into like dub, but a spread out depth. it can give you the illusion of understanding dub but it doesn't.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
ritualised darkness. not scary, just a darkness of the organised MDMA religion coded for the part of the experience where it starts to feel like speed. It's paranoid, but in a very non-perfunctory way. no overload. like the terror can be perfectly controlled at shaman level.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
darkside kitsch. Virtual reality. perfect for the jet setting tourist. no fear of missing work the next day due to a lsd trip gone all awry.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Not euphoric enough to make you a trrue believer who canes the mdma, like happy hardcore or piano house.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
frictionless experience. no pull and tug. just cruising through airspace, as opposed to being obliterated in hyperspace.

Reactions: Leo

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
bass that doesn't sound like sub bass, melodies that don't sound like the european gospel of cheesy trance. So what precisely made this so big? why has its victory been momentous all around the world.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Is this what a holiday to Thailand is like for the tourist? superficial glam? This isn't even classy, it's just a bit shiney and polished.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
why do people want to go to clubs for the sake of going to clubs. is this what it is? keep the floor pumping in a steady, hypnotic but fairly boring groove. it mystifies me. why not shag an old milf in a pub?

Perfect midrange music. is the futurism here the wooshing sound effects and the need not really to mix?

john eden

male pale and stale
Big rooms have different dynamics. And a lot of people.

And a lot of people can often mean the edges get cut off. So you do get that massive collective experience but you don't necessarily get too much genuine weirdness.

The people I knew who went to Cream and places like that weren't music obessessives. They liked nights out getting muntered with all their mates, but it was just as much about the journey there and who said what to who and the antics as the music. If not more.

Being in a place stuffed to rafters with thousands of loved up people your own age...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Big rooms have different dynamics. And a lot of people.

And a lot of people can often mean the edges get cut off. So you do get that massive collective experience but you don't necessarily get too much genuine weirdness.

The people I knew who went to Cream and places like that weren't music obessessives. They liked nights out getting muntered with all their mates, but it was just as much about the journey there and who said what to who and the antics as the music. If not more.

Being in a place stuffed to rafters with thousands of loved up people your own age...

but if i wanted that I'd go to a britpop club, i think. What intrigues me is this liminal zone is huge. It's not dark and edgey like some of the electronic music we like on here, but neither is it absolutely totally poppy like ATB 9 AM till i come. and yet paradoxically it's probably one of the most enduring cultures. This scene is still going strong today, albeit in a more slower and modernised electro house form.

boxedjoy

millenium-period Sky One documentary about Cream, you can see that much as the clubbers know who the DJs are and love the tunes it's not really about following Oakey across the country or whatever

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

millenium-period Sky One documentary about Cream, you can see that much as the clubbers know who the DJs are and love the tunes it's not really about following Oakey across the country or whatever

but this is slightly different to Oaky. This is trance for grown ups. Oaky is pretty irrelevant today. prog house is probably still the biggest semi-underground scene in the world.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
im not interested in discussing the merits or demerits of this music. it's shit. but why has this shit won the war. As shit is oakenfold type trance is, it has some exagerrated melodramatic elements which allows us to understand the appeal. Tech house is brain battering minimal techno for people who can't take the techno onslaut. Dubstep has the sub bass and spatial nature of dub. this?