THE DEPARTED (2006)

luka

It's finding peripheral elements to enjoy when the thing as a whole doesn't convince. You've got lovely eyes (but your face is a mess)

Reactions: sus

sus

It's how I got into vigilant citizen. You'd read his take on what you thought was just generic Hollywood trash and he'd turn it into an illuminati programming ritual and you'd think, wow, that films amazing and I'm a dunce. How did I not read it properly
What's a good VC review?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah good early oughts America/China fears. Late enough that the writing of a new Cold War was on the wall; early enough that Chinese consumer markets hadn't made these kinds of Hollywood depictions impossible.
And Nicholson is wearing a weird Happy Mondays hat.

It's also an excuse for the audience to laugh at some Chinese racism without feeling bad about it.

sus

I think there's squeezing merit out of films that maybe weren't built as smartly as they're interpreted. And then there's caring about different things, I have friends that go gaga over lush sound production, I don't grudge them their kink.

luka

Oh he didn't do a minions I imagined it. I was thinking of this

Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have a feeling (@version to confirm) that comments under departed videos are probably hilarious in a similar way as comments under master and commander videos are.

sus

(Aside from him being gay, which seems possible) Not convinced all the pater/filius/pregnancy shit is about him being gay, but there's some subtext to it, it's too coherent and weird to not be in there for symbolic reasons.

sus

the-departed-rat-ending-scene-850x478.jpg

I read a great blogpost the other day about rats, it was called "The Queen of Conde Nast" by Oliver Craner. traduttore, traditore.

sus

hes probably on the mount rushmore of dudes
> Maguire and DiCaprio were right to be worried about how they come off in Don’s Plum, a movie so overtly misogynistic that also feels like such a close reflection to how the Posse probably talked and acted in real life. In making a movie with each other, the Pussy Posse accidentally brought their secret, back-table debauchery to the forefront. “Stop looking at me like that—I’ll fucking throw a bottle at your face, you goddamn whore,” DiCaprio says to a girl in tears, while Maguire and Connolly laugh. Jack Dawson, America’s teen idol, can’t be talking like that. (It’s somewhat ironic that in 2005, almost a decade after DiCaprio uttered that line in Don’s Plum, model Aretha Wilson attacked him with a broken beer bottle. Wilson’s attorney claimed that Wilson was defending herself after DiCaprio took a swing at her for calling DiCaprio and the Posse “a bunch of fags.”)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Kevin Connolly was in their crew too, who has one of the most punchable faces known to Jackmanity.

Chicago 2008, lots of 19 year old americans asking me if I'd seen the departed or liked dropkick murphys. The worst music in the world probably

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ever since version appeared on here i've developed a real taste for cringey cultural artefacts.

Or rather, I've found a place to express this taste in public.