Roobric

I thought you'd abandoned us Benny.

There's something about Valiant I find vaguely off-putting. I can't put my finger on what it is—some kind of industry plant vibes lol. I could get over that, and Dunce Cheque is his best so far. Still, I prefer Kraff on that same riddim:

Valiant works for me in this trio setting (and Bree Bree is very promising; she picks interesting drill-ish almost house-y riddims)

Nice & queasy riddim on this Roze Don tune:

My tastes may have fatally diverged from Dissensus'—I do like Mugger though—but Skeng's garishly mollied up Elvis Presley might be the best thing I've heard so far this year? I don't know, the genre's in a weird place

Benny Bunter

I thought you'd abandoned us Benny.
I sort of did abandon you tbh, nothing to do with dancehall though, I just don't really listen to any music anymore, maybe one or two songs a week nowadays. Maybe I'll get back into it again now the weather's nice.

luka

you won't. you've past the point of no return. you shouldnt try and hang on to music, its for kids anyway.

Benny Bunter

You're probably right, I'm 42. The weird thing is I don't care in the slightest. Something so central to my life as music for all that time, you think you'll be into it forever, then quite suddenly I've got no desire for it all. It's still nice now and then if it catches me in the right mood, but more often than not it's irritating and I've got no drive to find anything new, or even listen to old stuff. Not traumatic at all, but quite weird when I think about it.

Benny Bunter

Part of it is it's something I get subjected to when all I want is peace and quiet most of the time. Plus I've heard it all and I don't really need to hear it again.

version

How old are you version, 30 or something? Has it already happened to you?

31 and yeah, although I do still listen to music. I made a thread a while back about 'not listening to music' because of feeling the same way you describe. I just suddenly realised it wasn't that important to me to be digging or keeping up with things and it had become a much more casual interest.

Benny Bunter

Imagine how traumatic it must be if you were an ageing music journalist, having to churn out content about stuff you couldn't care less about anymore

Benny Bunter

31 and yeah, although I do still listen to music. I made a thread a while back about 'not listening to music' because of feeling the same way you describe. I just suddenly realised it wasn't that important to me to be digging or keeping up with things and it had become a much more casual interest.

Ah yeah I remember seeing that thread ages ago, and then when it properly happened to me I went looking for it to see what people on here had said but couldn't find it, nice one.

Benny Bunter

Like you said in that thread, it's actually a relief, aaaah, you can finally breathe.

I just want to go to the park with my book and listen to the birds sing.

linebaugh

music is also very functional and I imagine as you age and become more closed off theres less need for it. As a young man who still has numerous concerns out in the world I still find that I 'need' music and little moments where I wish I had more of the right music for whatever appropriate situation keep me looking for more

Benny Bunter

I went through a phase of listening to ambient music, didn't really matter what, or those bird noise/ocean noise recordings on my noise cancelling headphones just to get me to sleep, cos I've got annoying neighbours.

Benny Bunter

Those moments where a song you love catches you out in the wild are the best, but they are very very rare nowadays, especially as I live in Spain so it's mainly trap-reggaeton I get subjected to.