RIP SOPHIE

luka

Fair enough. I apologise for upsetting that person. It's very sad what happened to Sophie.

Leo

love how her early singles are barely 2:00 long. I found a copy of the 45 rpm "lemonade" 12" for a dollar and, after mistakenly playing it at he wrong speed, discovered it sounds at 33 rpm. the helium vocal becomes normal and half-time beat is cool.

luka

Tbf you should always be gentle with the RIP threads, at least when it's still raw, as Craner famously found when we did the Bowie one.

entertainment

very very important and well said
i have nothing against her but let's not suddenly pretend this 'breaking out of representational form' line of thinking isn't modernism 101.

there is something about the music that keeps me interested but it's not expressed in those terms. can't tell if it's a new rift being opened or just someone willing to go futher down a dead end street than anyone else.

are they? Shiny is reflection of light and queasy is feeling sick. Too much glitz and glamour and gawdiness and gloss makes me queasy. Disgust response, bursting spots, gunge, spiders eggs... there’s sex in there too, swells and pops and curves. This is what bipp is about, sophie told me

Is that the same thing? physical modelling synthesis seems like a form of sonic skeuomorphism but I think what that person is talking about , and what im talking about is 'sound objects', sound design thats so crisp that it evokes a visceral visual form, a physical thing in the minds eye

3d printing comes to mind, hyper synthetic and plasticky and a bit icky and void of all humanity or tweeness and in that way discomforting despite all the euphoria and romance and kitsch

luka

Is that the same thing? physical modelling synthesis seems like a form of sonic skeuomorphism but I think what that person is talking about , and what im talking about is 'sound objects', sound design thats so crisp that it evokes a visceral visual form, a physical thing in the minds eye
this is what we were all talking about in the graphic design thread. you can see a lot of them aspire to this through their choice of cover art etc
the visual identity of their brands
Reminds me of this shut-in I knew who's hobby was digital art. He'd 'draw' a sphere with a metallic surface and then wait 48 hours for it to 'render'