Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground

sufi

lala
proper dub isn't it

also @sufi for someone not accustomed to this type of performance, is the vocalist singing some standards or is it all improvised?
some phrases are kind of standard like ya lel ya leil means oh the night, then there are generally lot of shout outs and so on, so a lot of it is spontaneous but wthin some sort of framework i reckon, it's not a track though that is like one actual song, at least not until it gets recorded
early in that video the guy sitting next to the singer berates someone "hey do you want to sleep?"

sufi

lala
some phrases are kind of standard like ya lel ya leil means oh the night, then there are generally lot of shout outs and so on, so a lot of it is spontaneous but wthin sme sort of framework i reckon, it's not a track though that is like on song, at least not until it gets recorded
early in that video the guy sitting next to the singer berates someone "hey do you want to sleep?"
what you'd expect really - usually that's a bit of warbling before the beat kicks in, but often that intro is the more dubbed out bit that fits this thread

Benny Bunter

"A song chronicled by John Aubrey in 1686 but certainly of far earlier provenance. The 'lyke' of the title is an ancient Briton word for 'corpse', and the text outlines a dead soul's preparations for a journey into the underworld, passing through unforgiving spiritual terrain, such as 'Whinny-muir' (moor) and 'the Brig (bridge) o'Dread' and 'purgatory'. The song was birthed in the north of England; it speaks of the reparations for a soul to be at peace after death. Those who were charitable in life shall receive comforts and pleasures. If not, torments await: 'The fire will burn thee to the bare bone'. The Young Tradition's setting, where the harmony moves in parallel fifths, produces a chilling dirge, the rites of a black ceremonial." - Rob Young

The Lyke Wake Dirge

wektor

some phrases are kind of standard like ya lel ya leil means oh the night, then there are generally lot of shout outs and so on, so a lot of it is spontaneous but wthin some sort of framework i reckon, it's not a track though that is like one actual song, at least not until it gets recorded
oh so I suppose a similar approach as the european folk song? ie. you have a chorus that repeats and maybe a few verses that are widely known to start with but you can improvise the lyrics afterwards to stretch out the performance until you're out of ideas, while melody of each verse stays the same ish.
perhaps with a more loose framework?

sufi

lala
oh so I suppose a similar approach as the european folk song? ie. you have a chorus that repeats and maybe a few verses that are widely known to start with but you can improvise the lyrics afterwards to stretch out the performance until you're out of ideas, while melody of each verse stays the same ish.
perhaps with a more loose framework?
i guess they are folk songs in a way, a lot of the sounds and i guess the lyrics have deep roots. Some artists have done studio recordings, but they are seen as not properly professional music as they are mainly heard performed at weddings, funerals, and quite a different style to arabic pop, though there's not a very clear boundary.

some musicians get famous with this style like shaaban and adawia, but the establishment (the Egyptian musician's union among others) rejects them and polite society sneers at them, the music is said to be "sha'abi", meaning popular as in "people's" with the connotation of "street" and low class. (I think they have "shaabi" music in Algeria and Morocco too, same word, but not quite the same derisive meaning, and a different musical style, i believe)

the most recent iteration of that conflict (which all plays out in the mainstream of Egyptian culture, so is at least some extent a fake dispute stoked up by everyone involved for their own ends) is the mahragan artists i posted in COTD a couple of months ago. So what i had in mind was more like rappers or grimers than folkies, tbh - that incessant shouting!

That rejection frees up sha'abi artists to be rude and sleazy, so there's a split there between the likes of megastars like Amr Diab or Nancy Ajram. who are held to high standards of public conduct, whereas this lot get to sing about hash and booze and girls, as well as to appear on TV as sort of naughty characters. There's a lot of contradiction and hypocrisy which is right in your face when you see a wedding singer on stage accompanied by a bunch of listless belly dancing women, while the audience is 90% slavering young guys and possibly a small segregated group of conservatively clad women.

I'm not good enough at music or arabic to comment in more detail or more authoritatively about the form or the melodies etc, but the stripped down echoey sound, the late night back street aesthetic and the rawness and wild virtuosity speaks for itself i think

sufi

lala
i'd dearly love that to be ripped apart by someone who knows their shit properly, there's not a lot in english about this specific type of music, or arabic/mid east music full stop, apart from the soas / academic / world music approach :(

sufi

lala
here he is at home and in the fields,
giving thanks and praise and talking about his work - loads more of his tunes in the recommends