Most true to the spirit of Reggae/Dub Reggae and NOT from Jamaica

luka

you can do the well worn thing of tracking the influence of dub studio techniques through disco and crappy post-punk but a)why bother and b) it doesnt sound anything like 'the spirit of jamacia' if you take spirit in its properly supernatural sense

luka

Landmark record for 1957 and kind of like Link Wray, years ahead of its time. The rockabilly craze had already peaked by then, and though it's still quite rockabilly, the sound now has a thick low end and there's a louisiana swamp flavour. The drums are thunderous but groovy with cowbells and handclaps, electric bass replaces acoustic, and there's a fierce distorted guitar solo to top it off - all pointing forward to the Rock (without the 'n'roll) of the 60s. Banger for the ages.

what you could plausibly do is draw up maps which link musics by climate and biome

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
you can do the well worn thing of tracking the influence of dub studio techniques through disco and crappy post-punk but a)why bother and b) it doesnt sound anything like 'the spirit of jamacia' if you take spirit in its properly supernatural sense
That's an interesting point - what is the 'spirit' of reggae/dub?

Is it a religious thing or is it an emotional thing or (in the case of dub) an interest in the mechanics of sound itself?

I've read a fair amount of stuff on King Tubby and how he deconstructed sound etc. but I can't recall ever reading about how that related (if it did) to any sort of spiritual project.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is the typical way King Tubby is talked about as 'a scientist of sound' etc.

"Singer Mikey Dread stated, "King Tubby truly understood sound in a scientific sense. He knew how the circuits worked and what the electrons did. That's why he could do what he did".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It immediately occurs to me that whatever king tubby's intentions there's the intentions of the musicians whose music he remixed/deconstructed to reckon with.

catalog

ive mentioned this before but arthur jafa says the spirit of dub is the idea of something being made "missing", the drop out of an instrument and the shake up caused by that. the weird surge in attention caused when you notice something has dropped out. and he says that's why basic channel could do good dub, cos the germans know about things going missing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What do germans know about things going missing?

I presume that's some sort of reference to Nazi germany lol

luka

basic channel are good and their music creates a space in the same way dub does, the spatial element is what its all about, but its a very chemical high which distinguishes it from the Natural Mystic blowing.

catalog

So there's some sort of parallel between Jamaicans and Germans?

I don't quite get it.
Yeah, he says dub as a technique in music has its origins in the trauma caused by people being made missing during slavery.

So families were broken up, as slaves were exchanged and sold, a son or daughter, father, mother might suddenly get taken away. There would be no explanation for this.

And this caused a specific reaction, which was different to the reaction caused by, say, the person being murdered. Where there would at least be some kind of closure or answer.

So he says that dilemma gets engaged with through dub structures in African American music. I mean, he doesn't mention Jamaica specifically, he's talking about America really, but I think the point is basically the same.

And so then he says that Germans have this same collective issue, although the referents are different, they are in different places in the schema.

But the central question remains ie "what has just happened, where's it gone".

I think he explains it in this video but I'm not sure at which point