Name a good song about football

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It is interesting that I can't think of many great songs about sport, full stop, in the history of music. Presumably there are loads of rap songs using basketball analogies. Only song I can think of off the top of my head is "Friendly game of baseball" by main source.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's such a huge part of many peoples lives that you'd think it would get sung about more. Perhaps the sport itself enables people to express all the emotions they need to about it?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also, have you noticed there's a sort of chanting "voice" people use when singing at football matches? It's a sort of yobby voice, which the non authentically yobby will adopt for the duration of the chant.

boxedjoy

Seven Nation Army sounds great at the darts when they chant the melody "oi, Michael Van Gerwin!" The darts generally has the best tunes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The best part of world in motion is them shouting "ENG-ER-LAND!" You can almost smell the morbidly obese shirtless bald drunkard yelling it as he staggers down the pavement.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Has a grime MC ever done a football song? (not including that one dizzee rascal did with James fucking corden)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also that chanting thing really elevates some songs. I heard "Sweet Caroline" played at normal volume the other day and it sounded so limp compared to when they play it at the football and thousands of pissed supporters are doing their best yob voice to it

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It is interesting that I can't think of many great songs about sport, full stop, in the history of music. Presumably there are loads of rap songs using basketball analogies. Only song I can think of off the top of my head is "Friendly game of baseball" by main source.
Loads of boxing, surely?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There are definitely rap songs that use boxing (and other sports) as an analogy: Mama Said Knock You Out, 2nd Round Knockout etc.

The songs I can think that are ABOUT boxing/basketball are the one the fugees did for that Rumble In The Jungle documentary and maybe He Got Game from Public Enemy? Movie tie ins, basically.

But I'm probably forgetting fucking loads and this will get embarrassing for me quickly.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But then maybe it's simply not something you would write a song about. What would you sing about, even? The narrative of play? The atmosphere in the crowd?

You could declare your undying love for the game or certain players...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
There are definitely rap songs that use boxing (and other sports) as an analogy: Mama Said Knock You Out, 2nd Round Knockout etc.

The songs I can think that are ABOUT boxing/basketball are the one the fugees did for that Rumble In The Jungle documentary and maybe He Got Game from Public Enemy? Movie tie ins, basically.

But I'm probably forgetting fucking loads and this will get embarrassing for me quickly.
Loads of older reggae, surely:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Although yeah, I guess I was partly thinking of boxing as a metaphor as well as strictly tunes about boxers.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite

*Admitting to being familiar with Billy Bragg's back catalogue on Dissensus just to feel something.*