Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
not to be confused with poutine

0120_poutine-jpg.jpg
Now we can really confuse whoever asks for directions.

linebaugh

love cheese curds. Used to work an industrial size cheese grater that would produce curds in the crevices between the grate. Id throw em back constantly

IdleRich

IdleRich
why not just say "this side of the bridge"/"that side of the bridge"?
I think he was explaining the terminology used these days when discussing gender and such like, I'm sure in normal conversation he would opt for the easy option.
My girlfriend was called a "Cis idiot bitch" (or something very similar) just the other day in fact.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I think he was explaining the terminology used these days when discussing gender and such like, I'm sure in normal conversation he would opt for the easy option.
My girlfriend was called a "Cis idiot bitch" (or something very similar) just the other day in fact.
why did they call her that?

Leo

I've seen some people use cis in a derogatory manner, as an insult directed at a hetro.

IdleRich

IdleRich
too often, quirky translates to "trying to be funny but not actually funny".

maybe it's just a matter of how prevalent it is. I don't mind listening to a quirky band once in a while, but couldn't listen to a day of quirky bands. like sweets: potentially ok in moderation.
Yeah exactly. And also you have a kind of.... I dunno... "first wave" say with Coens and that having odd conversations between peculiar characters and, you can think what you like about it, but at least it's not totally derivative, and, (I am gonna assume) it's their natural voice, I have a real problem with some of these later ones which seem like they are striving really hard to do something that has already been done and which doesn't come naturally.
It just feels with, again to the same example, that Beverly Luff Lin thing was trying so hard - oh look the Indian shopkeeper has a really high voice. Yeah... I mean, is that funny? What is funny about it? Are we back to just pointing and laughing at freaks? And also so many of these things have handsome hollywood actors in out of date, badly fitting clothes with stupid haircuts, and you can see they're having fun, but, at times it feels like punching down, just laughing at losers, and the person playing that role can just take off the wig and the fake teeth at the end and go back to being a heartthrob.
It doesn't have to be that way of course, there have been many films where it focuses on, or merely just features, a weird looking loser type, but if it gives them some time and allows them to be a person or whatever then fair enough. But I feel that too many things now have seen other films take the "weird looking guy" idea and though "Oh great I guess it's cool to have a laugh at care-in-the-community types again" and then thoughtlessly do just that with no depth or care behind it.

woops

is not like other people
Yeah exactly. And also you have a kind of.... I dunno... "first wave" say with Coens and that having odd conversations between peculiar characters and, you can think what you like about it, but at least it's not totally derivative, and, (I am gonna assume) it's their natural voice, I have a real problem with some of these later ones which seem like they are striving really hard to do something that has already been done and which doesn't come naturally.
It just feels with, again to the same example, that Beverly Luff Lin thing was trying so hard - oh look the Indian shopkeeper has a really high voice. Yeah... I mean, is that funny? What is funny about it? Are we back to just pointing and laughing at freaks? And also so many of these things have handsome hollywood actors in out of date, badly fitting clothes with stupid haircuts, and you can see they're having fun, but, at times it feels like punching down, just laughing at losers, and the person playing that role can just take off the wig and the fake teeth at the end and go back to being a heartthrob.
It doesn't have to be that way of course, there have been many films where it focuses on, or merely just features, a weird looking loser type, but if it gives them some time and allows them to be a person or whatever then fair enough. But I feel that too many things now have seen other films take the "weird looking guy" idea and though "Oh great I guess it's cool to have a laugh at care-in-the-community types again" and then thoughtlessly do just that with no depth or care behind it.
this last bit is why Rushmore is acceptable though isn't it? the nerd/loser guy becomes a hero. as i recall. certainly much more watchable than other anderson films.

IdleRich

IdleRich
why did they call her that?
Yes interesting one actually, would like to know what people think... I wasn't actually there but this is how it was told to me.
A friend of ours is non-binary and quite vocal about that and has a lot of other friends, naturally enough, who feel the same way. So as I understand it, this person we know was hanging around with my GF and invented another friend to join them. This other friend is a trans girl and they were all back at our flat chatting away, listening to music etc So what kicked it off was my girlfriend saying something about trans people and she used a phrase or a sentence or whatever talking about "A person who is born as a man but becomes a woman" - at which this girl... well, I was gonna say kicked off, but I wasn't there so I dunno if she was annoyed at this point or not but she said "No, I was always a woman I was just in a man's body and this terminology which says that I was a man is wrong and offensive" and so GF replied saying "Oh I am sorry, I didn't know that that was offensive and, please, if there is something that I say like that, that is unintentionally hurtful, do feel free to tell me, but yeah do understand that it is not from a deliberate attempt to be rude but just a lack of knowledge" - and here this girl did get angry and said something like "Fuck you it's not down to us to teach every little thing to every ignorant cis bitch, it's your responsibility to educate yourself and know all this."
And I think that then they had a proper argument, plus made up, and when I got in they were all sitting there arguing about music etc again. But I'm not sure they will be actively seeking each other out for future social engagements.

Leo

I can see both side, but the trans visitor was maybe a little out of line. your GF was honest, upfront and apologetic.

IdleRich

IdleRich
this last bit is why Rushmore is acceptable though isn't it? the nerd/loser guy becomes a hero. as i recall. certainly much more watchable than other anderson films.
I dunno that I've seen that one to be honest. But I think I was trying to avoid saying that the "freak" - or however you want to characterise these types in these films - must win, or even turn out to be a nice guy with a heart of gold or anything, but I do think even if the freaknerd is an arsehole s/he deserves to be a real arsehole, an actual character, not just someone to laugh at cos they have a mullet and a speech impediment.
In Crispin Glover's film What Is It? the main character is disabled and he has a personality, he is a bit of a cunt. I found that quite refreshing cos too often there is assumption that we have to make nerds actually winners or super nice and so on and I find that kinda patronising, a denial of agency or a denial of half of humanity's spectrum of characteristics.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can see both side, but the trans visitor was maybe a little out of line. your GF was honest, upfront and apologetic.
I dunno man. My feeling is that ignorance is far from being a catch-all excuse, certainly if I used the N word and then said "Oh sorry, I didn't know" I don't think that would get me very far. On the other hand I do feel if the information is less known then maybe not knowing it can be reasonable, and, if, as you say, the person says that they accept they were wrong, they apologise for it and they say they will endeavour to avoid that error and others too in the future then picking a fight seems a little bit unnecessary. On the other other hand, I get that this girl has probably had to deal with a lot of ignorance and worse and that being prepared to call it out and to do so directly and strongly is something that she definitely needs to be able to do.
I will say that they apparently made up. And I will also say that I only heard the story from GF so maybe her politeness and reasonableness at each stage was exaggerated. Or maybe I'm being unfair to her now.