Gateways -- Possession

IdleRich

IdleRich
When I first read of it in the bible I just totally assumed it meant God was giving them the power of speaking in new languages to spread the gospel in countries they might visit... part of me still wonders if that's what it meant and the people doing it now are just nutters getting it wrong

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can't believe the rest of you lot let @luka get away with saying "Alcohol makes you vulnerable to possession by demonic entities" as a euphemism for "when I get wankered I turn into a psycho bastard twat from hell."

• Haha
Reactions: sus

entertainment

Sometimes I have nightmares that summon a feeling of fear or terror that is beyond anything I've felt while awake but that is rarely connected to images that would normally be frightening. It is often evoked by something like a patch of grass in a certain brownish hue or being in a familiar place but sensing that something about it is slightly off.

Sometimes I wake up still immersed in this terror and it starts to attach itself to objects of the waking world, calling forth what seems like an innate layer of evil. I lie there in bed too scared to even look out the window or wake up my girlfriend because of the possibility that she too would be evil. Realising that this dream consciousness has spilled over into waking life and put me in contact with a hidden layer of reality, my only impulse is to mine it in a creatively.

Sometimes I strike upon what seems like a fantastic image, typically some slight alteration to a normal object or situation that transforms it into something profoundly grotesque. I write it down and go back to sleep but when I wake up in the morning and read it I discover that the image has lost all this evil force and has now become meaningless except for a vague trace of the terror I remember feeling towards it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sometimes I have nightmares that summon a feeling of fear or terror that is beyond anything I've felt while awake but that is rarely connected to images that would normally be frightening. It is often evoked by something like a patch of grass in a certain brownish hue or being in a familiar place but sensing that something about it is slightly off.

Sometimes I wake up still immersed in this terror and it starts to attach itself to objects of the waking world, calling forth what seems like an innate layer of evil. I lie there in bed too scared to even look out the window or wake up my girlfriend because of the possibility that she too would be evil. Realising that this dream consciousness has spilled over into waking life and put me in contact with a hidden layer of reality, my only impulse is to mine it in a creatively.

Sometimes I strike upon what seems like a fantastic image, typically some slight alteration to a normal object or situation that transforms it into something profoundly grotesque. I write it down and go back to sleep but when I wake up in the morning and read it I discover that the image has lost all this evil force and has now become meaningless except for a vague trace of the terror I remember feeling towards it.
This sounds a lot like the feeling David Lynch evokes so well. The 'monstrous familiar.'

woops

is not like other people

if this had been posted in 2005 it would be a 30 page thread in no time gek opel would of been all over it.

entertainment

This sounds a lot like the feeling David Lynch evokes so well. The 'monstrous familiar.'
I think there is a similarity to what Lynch in a way.

It is more of a mood than a feeling, one that modulates reality to according to its most terrible potential. A Lynchian mood does the same. It sets the antenna to a frequency that you are normally cut off from, a sort of frequency of the grotesque, one that begins to pick up on all the potentialities of evil hidden beneath the veneer, all the little glitches and absurdities in your constructed reality.

If an image is structured of millions of little strings of association then surely anything can be reconfigured to reveal some grotesque implication.

IdleRich

IdleRich

I get or used to get sleep paralysis a lot and i recognize a many of those feelings - though in that experience they are not located in a mundane thing or anywhere really.

if this had been posted in 2005 it would be a 30 page thread in no time gek opel would of been all over it.
One of my favourite old school posters. You’re right he had a good grasp of the horror of the everyday. I was at his book launch with Jeremy Gilbert last month, how big tech and Wall Street won the world. but had to leave early. A very abstract thinker and speaker … Gilbert made some good points about the galvanising moralism of corbyn as strength and weakness

version

I don't quite have this experience, but I'm very familiar with being clung to by a dream. Sometimes I'll feel uncomfortable for an hour or two after and struggle to shake it off, like a drawn out equivalent of your heart rate slowing after a sprint.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't quite have this experience, but I'm very familiar with being clung to by a dream. Sometimes I'll feel uncomfortable for an hour or two after and struggle to shake it off, like a drawn out equivalent of your heart rate slowing after a sprint.

I once ate a 150 g pack of Dolcelatte with crackers for dinner and then fell asleep listening to Throbbing Gristle's First Annual Report. I had a nightmare that continued as an open-eye hallucination for several seconds after I woke up.

No doubt for @martin this is a standard Tuesday night's manifestation.

martin

----

I sometimes get this too. I had a really horrible one last year. I dreamed I was in court, representing a mutant in a wheelchair. The mutant had let his able-bodied infant son play near a pond, but the kid had fallen in. A young couple standing nearby had filmed the kid and were laughing as he drowned, while his disabled dad pleaded for them to wade in and save him. They'd then posted the death footage all over social media.

I was aware the case was going really badly - I didn't have a fucking clue what I was doing. I was flicking through stacks of coffee-stained pages, all full of incomprehensible legalese, while the judge tutted and the young couple giggled and pulled faces. I woke up and spent an hour staring at the ceiling, arms folded across my chest. Can you prosecute someone for failing to save another's life, even if they didn't push the kid in? Is there legal precedent for it? I remembered reading about this custom in Rwanda where, if a woman gets attacked and cries out, any blokes nearby are obliged to drop everything and head in her direction: the police will rough up and interrogate anyone in the vicinity who stayed put or didn't respond. Could I work that into my case for the prosecution?

It was gone lunchtime and I was still stewing over this dream court case, looking up the UK's legal stance on duty to rescue instead of doing any work. It wasn't 'til mid-afternoon that I felt right again: but I still wanted to nail this fictitious couple and send them down for life. Fucked my day up, I felt properly down. Even though this whole case didn't exist outside of my hippocampus, it still pains me that they probably got off scot-free. Still, maybe they'll get nobbled by the vampire who cornered me in a public toilet during a flu dream when I was 8.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I sometimes get this too. I had a really horrible one last year. I dreamed I was in court, representing a mutant in a wheelchair. The mutant had let his able-bodied infant son play near a pond, but the kid had fallen in. A young couple standing nearby had filmed the kid and were laughing as he drowned, while his disabled dad pleaded for them to wade in and save him. They'd then posted the death footage all over social media.

I was aware the case was going really badly - I didn't have a fucking clue what I was doing. I was flicking through stacks of coffee-stained pages, all full of incomprehensible legalese, while the judge tutted and the young couple giggled and pulled faces. I woke up and spent an hour staring at the ceiling, arms folded across my chest. Can you prosecute someone for failing to save another's life, even if they didn't push the kid in? Is there legal precedent for it? I remembered reading about this custom in Rwanda where, if a woman gets attacked and cries out, any blokes nearby are obliged to drop everything and head in her direction: the police will rough up and interrogate anyone in the vicinity who stayed put or didn't respond. Could I work that into my case for the prosecution?

It was gone lunchtime and I was still stewing over this dream court case, looking up the UK's legal stance on duty to rescue instead of doing any work. It wasn't 'til mid-afternoon that I felt right again: but I still wanted to nail this fictitious couple and send them down for life. Fucked my day up, I felt properly down. Even though this whole case didn't exist outside of my hippocampus, it still pains me that they probably got off scot-free. Still, maybe they'll get nobbled by the vampire who cornered me in a public toilet during a flu dream when I was 8.
@martin, venting his rage at the vile pair of de-facto child-drowners:

BoilingAchingEthiopianwolf-max-1mb.gif

IdleRich

IdleRich

This is actually quite a common dream. Normally means you gonna see a long lost friend soon.

luka

i had a nightmare about care bears as a child i can still sort of remember. going into a cave with a giant flashing crystal that was controlling them

version

The spirit in the book's a great image. Always found something compelling about that sort of thing, like the game calling to people in Jumanji. Drums in the distance.