IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I thought that too actually... flush people out to reveal their positions on one of the of the few issues on which their is ostensibly clear water between the two parties. An issue which while relatively trivial can also be decisive for certain demographics.

luka

potnetially. although it seems mad on the face of it given everyone in the country takes all the drugs they can get their hands on all the time

version

Pointless digresssion but is it "hone in" or "home in"? I always find myself wanting to say hone but then I think that that doesn't make sense, whereas homing in like a homing missile does... and yet my instinct is somehow always towards honing, and it seems I'm not alone, why is this?
It's home, like you say re: the missile. You hone a skill, so it doesn't make as much sense to say hone.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So obviously I don't know exactly how they're doing it. And weirdly I've never seen a book or anything which describes what political parties do at this kind of tactical level. I would imagine though that at some level they do use social science stuff, by which I mean interviews and focus groups, and other kinds of research based on going to chat to people, to come up with the idea that they can achieve something by raising an issue like middle-class drug users.
My guess is that the particulars change pretty quickly and books are probably out of date by the time they are written. I'd also guess that we are in relatively uncharted territory at the moment with a lot of the rules that people thought were true for how people responded to politicians and policies, how high their tolerance for lies and hypocrisy is and to what extent we can trust opinion polls, turning out to be wrong. So I reckon it's quite hard to figure out what tactics they are using just now.

IdleRich

IdleRich
potnetially. although it seems mad on the face of it given everyone in the country takes all the drugs they can get their hands on all the time
But weirdly enough, outside of our bubble the people who believe that the sky will fall in if MPs think about legalising any drugs whatsoever are the majority.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's home, like you say re: the missile. You hone a skill, so it doesn't make as much sense to say hone.
I agree... to hone is to sharpen something... but google says it's acceptable. Is that just cos of misuse as with literally?

sus

Ridiculous we're still going round and round on drugs when prohibition's repeatedly proven ineffective, even the US have legalised weed in certain states and Portugal are apparently doing quite well with their approach.
Not just certain states, about 40% of Americans are weed legal now and some extra states have decriminalized.

sus

I still had to drive 6 hours to get legal cannabis in Michigan, but as a result I had some of the best Thai food of my whole life in some podunk town on the Upper Peninsula. You'd never guess.

shakahislop

This was clever I thought

they think that it will provoke a load of people and organizations to need to say in the media that they are actually in support of people taking drugs, in support of legalization, and so on. The idea being that it makes people that the conservatives want to vote for them notice that there is a big difference in opinion between themselves and these the people who support taking drugs etc.

He's not just a safe pair of hands
i'm very clever, you should see my SATS results

luka

You're our roving reporter, our foreign correspondent. You leave the house so we don't have to.