Strange British Things.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'll move on to the more pressing issue of washing machines in kitchens... thought it can happen anywhere, in Portugal as in UK some are like that and some are not.

martin

----
A single tap gives you a continuous spectrum of control. Infinite possibility.
What are you DOING with the tap?? Dancing underneath it, like it's a waterfall???

You run the cold one when you brush your teeth. The hot one when you wash your hands. It takes about 30 seconds for the hot tap to become hot enough to scald you, which is plenty of time to wash your hands.

sus

What are you DOING with the tap?? Dancing underneath it, like it's a waterfall???

You run the cold one when you brush your teeth. The hot one when you wash your hands. It takes about 30 seconds for the hot tap to become hot enough to scald you, which is plenty of time to wash your hands.

See this is insane. Like actually deeply unhinged behavior.

sus

You can see, can't you, that it's a poor system where you have a narrow window of washing, mere seconds, before you're scalded—or else alternatively, are forced into ice water? You can see, can't you, that it's objectively better to have a single tap, so that you can—if you want, have both scalding and ice water, but also all the options in the middle?

You don't have to dance under it, but for better or worse, we spend many minutes of our days in tap water. How do you wash dishes, for instance? That takes a steady stream of warm-to-hot water for several minutes at least. Ice cold won't wash them well at all.

Reactions: Leo

sus

you can use the two taps to fill the sink with lukewarm water
And I don't like this basin idea at all. All sorts of nasty semi-liquids get on basins, especially in shared bathrooms. It's not just toothpaste and spit, I'll tell you that. I'll just cup my hands for a half-second under the perfect temperature, then splash it on me face, thank you very much

woops

is not like other people
i bet you've never seen one of these have you @suspended, it's a useful device for people who have 2 taps but no shower:

0182571-1.jpg

martin

----
Is it really too painful to wash your hands with cold water? Or, like William kindly suggested, put a plug in the basin and create your own mini-oasis of infinite possibility?

You can see, can't you, that it's objectively better to have a single tap, so that you can—

- pull the lever half a millimetre sideways and suddenly need a skin graft. Sure. :rolleyes:

sus

You know here in the States, where we have reasonable ideas about sinks, the real debate is over two handles vs. one handle. That is, a hot and cold handle that must both be turned, to various degrees, to get a mixed temp. Or, alternatively, a single handle whose position contains the entire temperature spectrum in itself. This one's popular on showers.

I'm a big fan of single-handle, single-tap. Single-handle single-tap til I die.

sus

Is it really too painful to wash your hands with cold water? Or, like William kindly suggested, put a plug in the basin and create your own mini-oasis of infinite possibility?

- pull the lever half a millimetre sideways and suddenly need a skin graft. Sure. :rolleyes:
It's not a question of too painful. It's not a question of gritting and bearing it. Sure, I can bear it.

It's a question of, "Why would I splash my face everyday with ice water when I could splash my face with nice warm 80F water that feels amazing." It's a question of "Why would I wake myself up with frigid water washing me face before bed when I could feel great"

And please, I think I've already addressed the basin issue with sufficient persuasion, though I should mention—waiting for a big basin to fill, in addition to wasting water and being generally disgusting, wastes my time as well. It's all about efficiency here in America.

sus

pull the lever half a millimetre sideways and suddenly need a skin graft. Sure. :rolleyes:
It sounds like you are an inexperienced and incapable user of single taps. Perhaps if your culture provided more space to practice.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

sus

Martin, I feel like I'm not making myself understood.

You can do everything you can do on double taps with a single tap. You can scald yourself and ice-bath your face to your hearts content. No one will stop you Martin darling.

However, you can do more things with a single tap than a double tap. You have more choice. More freedom. More empowerment. That's the old red white n blue. Now how do you like em now