Tom Waits vs. David Bowie

?

• Total voters

maxi

Never understood thd appeal of down by law that Italian does my head in.
all those jim jarmusch movies are beautiful and hilarious. dead man is the best film ever made except for maybe twin peaks fire walk with me. which i forgot david bowies in too. changing my answer to david bowie actually cos of twin peaks

catalog

i might rewatch them all, it's years since i saw them. i do really like the first one, with john lurie and the russian cousin, that's really good. and ghost dog was alright. very affected though. are you american maxi? might be a US/UK thing.

catalog

i've never seen the man who fell to earth now i come to think about it, heard it's really good. something about bowie i find a bit scary.

rubberdingyrapids

Best waits songs are it's all right with Me, his Cole porter cover, and hell broke Luce.

I loved all those jarmusch films when I was a teenager but find them a bit affected and lacking now.

maxi

I loved all those jarmusch films when I was a teenager but find them a bit affected and lacking now.
The humour goes a long way towards stopping them seeming pretentious to me. also the visuals are often straightforwardly beautiful, like the bayous scenes in down by law. there's something oddly cleansing about them as well, especially dead man. partly something to do with how slow and drawn out they are. when i first some of them seemed boring but i think i'd just been spoilt by all the fast paced entertainment I was used to

some great soundtracks too, ghost dog of course. love this scene of him just driving listening to killah priest. it's definitely that kind of thing where you get what give to them. you get a lot of time to think while watching

hated his last one though, the zombie one

blissblogger

funnily enough I was just reading about Waits in this extract from a Rickie Lee Jones memoir:

"When I was 23 years old I drove around LA with Tom Waits. We’d cruise along Highway 1 in his new 1963 Thunderbird. With my blond hair flying out the window and both of us sweating in the summer sun, the alcohol seeped from our pores and the sex smell still soaked our clothes and our hair. We liked our smell. We did not bathe as often as we might have. We were in love and I for one was not interested in washing any of that off. By the end of summer we were exchanging song ideas. We were also exchanging something deeper. Each other.

Tom had two tattoos on his bicep. He liked to don the vintage accoutrements of masculinity: sailor hats and pointed shoes. The more he tried to conceal his tenderness, the more he revealed a chafed and childlike nature. I adored him. He was my king. In bed he was the greatest performing lion in the world. I mean to say that Tom was never not performing."

luka

funnily enough I was just reading about Waits in this extract from a Rickie Lee Jones memoir:

"When I was 23 years old I drove around LA with Tom Waits. We’d cruise along Highway 1 in his new 1963 Thunderbird. With my blond hair flying out the window and both of us sweating in the summer sun, the alcohol seeped from our pores and the sex smell still soaked our clothes and our hair. We liked our smell. We did not bathe as often as we might have. We were in love and I for one was not interested in washing any of that off. By the end of summer we were exchanging song ideas. We were also exchanging something deeper. Each other.

Tom had two tattoos on his bicep. He liked to don the vintage accoutrements of masculinity: sailor hats and pointed shoes. The more he tried to conceal his tenderness, the more he revealed a chafed and childlike nature. I adored him. He was my king. In bed he was the greatest performing lion in the world. I mean to say that Tom was never not performing."
probably the most disgusting piece of prose ive ever read. really put you off your dinner that

Benny Bunter

"With my blond hair flying out the window and both of us sweating in the summer sun, the alcohol seeped from our pores and the sex smell still soaked our clothes and our hair. We liked our smell. We did not bathe as often as we might have. We were in love and I for one was not interested in washing any of that off. By the end of summer we were exchanging song ideas. We were also exchanging something deeper. Each other."

:sick:🤮