Experimental singer-songwriter

the ig

this was always the outlier on ‘Miss America’ for me, stripping away at the gloss elsewhere. I can either listen to the whole thing and not that, or that and none of the rest:

Last edited:

the ig

the generally terminally so-so Armatrading in unusually expansive mood. light-stepping jazz-funky at first, great piano, pastorian fretless bass, a spot of mock-Bach, ’lectric piano duel, a becalmed improv-y hollow, rapturous jammy outro:

obvs goes great with jazz-era Joni and MMOH

Last edited:

the ig

a heady, dizzy, falling-in-love sort of song. gorgeous really. but it’s for Amsterdam, or a person, or the love object lost/expanded among the all-things, sweet abandon in 360°.

Last edited:

the ig

i mean, he is a progster, but..

never fully convinced by hammill, but just can’t shake him off either (the solo stuff, can’t stick vdgg at all)

shakahislop

i think the latter work of mark kozelek kind of fits in here. he started off in the 90s as more or less a slowcore guy but by the end he was putting out two or three albums a year of 'songs' where he increasingly was just saying 'i did this and then i did this and then i watched a film and i liked it and then i went and talked to my wife and then i went to a resutrant i like and i ate a sea bass............and then i sexually assaulted one of my fans'........well ok he mostly elided the last bit, there was at least some filter...

not that impressive taken song by song but over the years it's an interesting deconstruction of that singer songwriter thing. which mostly relies on revealing specific minimal details, it's a bit of a dance, creating the impression of soul bearing and giving you something relatable, but also holding back a lot and keeping a mystique. carefully chosen words and a lot of romance. kozelek used to do that as well but he slowly leaned into no longer doing the dance and pretty much just talking over whatever accompaniment him and his mates could bodge together. functioning somewhere between music and a podcast.

was interested to see where all of that was going to end up because he was pushing it to more and more of an extreme as time went on, with apparently no interest in quality control, but his cancellation seems to have been the end of it. a kind of fitting end in some ways. one of the things that shone through that whole project was how lonely it seems to be for him flying around as a touring musician.

the ig

ahem, hawkwind guy solo “mouth music”

from a so-so album of fusty 70s whimsy and quite good proto-glam produced by brian eno

this radically reworked version only available on CD remaster

Last edited:

Woebot

artists working within the intimate, confessional, soul-baring tradition, who veer off into unexpectedly inventive, non-acoustic or expressively weird directions

it does my head in that Cat Stevens - Cat Stevens of "Peace Train", "Morning Has Broken" etc etc - released this track in early 1977 that invents electro and foreshadows techno and bleep

looky at some of the gear used on this album (Izitso) -
guitar synthesizer, Polymoog, Moog synthesizer, Minimoog, ARP String Synthesizer, ARP 2600, Yamaha CS-80, Yamaha GX-1, Yamaha EA5R electronic organ, music sequencer, Wurlitzer electric piano
ooh ooh.

i have a very good one!

Woebot

subtly experimental perhaps. perhaps too subtle for the thread but definitely oddball.

the ig

Boz stretchin’, Dan-ishly. all glinty and glassy sophisticato jazz-pop. Wait for the great playout with the girl vocals and swirly synth washes. those electronic drum rolls (are they? ‘77 too early for Simmons) bit off-putting tho.

Last edited: