Do you think covid was man made?

• Total voters

IdleRich

IdleRich
like the old childhood farting saying: "he who smelt it, dealt it".
Childhood? I bet they say it if someone points out an unpleasant lingering odour at a meeting of the G8 leaders. And Merkel, with years of diplomatic experience at the very highest level, would no doubt reply with the universally recognised and expected response "He who said the rhyme did the crime".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Childhood? I bet they say it if someone points out an unpleasant lingering odour at a meeting of the G8 leaders. And Merkel, with years of diplomatic experience at the very highest level, would no doubt reply with the universally recognised and expected response "He who said the rhyme did the crime".
And if anyone questioned her, she would be like "I've got a PhD in chemistry, so I know about detecting gasses, so fuck off. Also I'm the boss of Germany, so double fuck off."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
here we go...
Serious question! It's worth asking 'cui bono' about any assertion like this.

For my part, I wouldn't trust the Chinese state as far as I could throw it, and they did the rest of the world no favours at all by suppressing information about the outbreak early on. But it strikes me that conspiracy theories attributing malevolent intention to the appearance of the disease in the first place, apart from making little sense, are pretty nakedly racist attempts to stir up anti-Chinese sentiment.

version

But it strikes me that conspiracy theories attributing malevolent intention to the appearance of the disease in the first place, apart from making little sense, are pretty nakedly racist attempts to stir up anti-Chinese sentiment.
Does that stem purely from racism? I get the impression it's more westerners just shitting themselves at the thought of another superpower vying for the top spot rather than anything to do with them being Chinese. I think you'd see the same thing happen whoever it was.

I suppose you could argue it's rooted in a general xenophobia and fear of The Other becoming top dog, but there are arguments other than xenophobia and racism for why someone wouldn't want to lose their position, e.g. Americans wanting to remain the richest.

catalog

I don't think it was man made directly. I don't think it was generated in a lab I mean. It's cos of all the interference with the animals. So indirectly man made, yes.

linebaugh

Where is the lab leak option

Man-made to me implies conscious decision as opposed to human error

That said-
I count lab leak as man made, at least thats how intended it. you must change your answer

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Made by capitalism, yes. Do men make capitalism? Well, yes, but not within their own choosing, necessarily. Although humans are animals at the most fundamental level, hence the necessity for ideology as post-hoc justifications of sleep, eating, shelter, defecation and procreation.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Everything could be said to be made by capitalism, could you explicate?

In some regions, meat, which was mostly eaten only at wedding ceremonies or during the Kurban Bayramı (Eid ul-Adha) as etli pilav (pilav with meat), has become part of the daily diet since the introduction of industrial production. Veal, formerly shunned, is now widely consumed.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about industrial food production. But one of the consequences is polution of the ecosystem, which, needless to say, provides ample ground for viruses to mutate.

catalog

Or "one"?

Im in agreement with this thesis. It happened unintentially. They should never have milked those civets

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Does that stem purely from racism? I get the impression it's more westerners just shitting themselves at the thought of another superpower vying for the top spot rather than anything to do with them being Chinese. I think you'd see the same thing happen whoever it was.

I suppose you could argue it's rooted in a general xenophobia and fear of The Other becoming top dog, but there are arguments other than xenophobia and racism for why someone wouldn't want to lose their position, e.g. Americans wanting to remain the richest.
Well, maybe, but how far do you want to take this artificially impartial position? Do you say: "Yeah fair enough, perhaps the Chinese are developing viruses specifically engineered to kill people of European descent, it's logical from their point of view, I'd do the same if I were them"?