Do you think covid was man made?

• Total voters

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Is that actually one of the theories? I haven't come across that one.
I've heard of things going in that direction. My point was more that I don't understand why anyone would take that sort of bogus position of disinterest, when pretty clearly everyone lives in one country or another, which would side with or against the USA or China if push came to shove, and would probably prefer to be alive rather than dead, and free rather than enslaved, etc.

But as it is, the whole "covid as bioweapon" idea is nuts. For one thing, a pathogen that kills about 1% of people it infects is a pretty pathetic weapon.

linebaugh

in teas defense I do hear some stuff relating to wet markets and chinese nutrition that gets into rascist territory, like the old adage that you never see dogs near the take out spot.

version

My point's that I think you'd see the same sort of theorising going on if the virus had originated in Russia and that you can't pin the whole thing on Sinophobia. In fact, I'd say the rise in Sinophobia is itself a product of China's position in the world rather than anything specifically to do with them being Chinese. It's the same thing as Americans being terrified of Russia during the Cold War. It wasn't because they were Russian, it was because they were powerful.

linebaugh

My point's that I think you'd see the same sort of theorising going on if the virus had originated in Russia and that you can't pin the whole thing on Sinophobia. In fact, I'd say the rise in Sinophobia is itself a product of China's position in the world rather than anything specifically to do with them being Chinese. It's the same thing as Americans being terrified of Russia during the Cold War. It wasn't because they were Russian, it was because they were powerful.
I agree I was just being diplomatic

version

It was a reference to an actual thing I'd read. I didn't have it saved in my library of everything I've ever read on the internet, Mr Archivist!
"I've heard of things going in that direction... " is very vague and suggests you didn't actually read that, just extrapolated from something else.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"I've heard of things going in that direction... " is very vague and suggests you didn't actually read that, just extrapolated from something else.
It was Charles Stross, IIRC. I'm not saying i think it's true or even likely.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
My point's that I think you'd see the same sort of theorising going on if the virus had originated in Russia and that you can't pin the whole thing on Sinophobia.

is it 100% this thing even originated in China, to probe the obvious? even the dating for 2019 is murky

fronting up to China is one play, what’s unethical about popping a lid on a pot in the right circumstances? who would the significant agencies be? how paranoid could you see this mess ride? seeds were sown aeons before Covid static

containing China is impossible, absolute warfare exists among all significant actors on the world stage. how many foreign intelligence operatives were killed last year? exactly, we have no idea because it exists outside any legal framework or open disclosure

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
containing China is impossible, absolute warfare exists among all significant actors on the world stage. how many foreign intelligence operatives were killed last year? exactly, we have no idea because it exists outside any legal framework or open disclosure
Only solution is to fight (and win) a land war in Asia. @148 I.Q. Magical Thinker is oiling his old service revolver as we speak.

shakahislop

think in general seeing as no-one knows the answer to this question, and no-one can know, it's one of those questions where people's opinions tell you more about their pre-existing attitudes and beliefs than anything about reality.