Tempo mutilation

wektor

I forgot about this tune for years then woke up a few months ago with it looping endlessly inside of my head

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

MrBodyMassgeMachn (Uploader)
I once read that Richard D. James created some of his most uptempo songs by writing them at 33 1/3 RPM and then speeding them up to 45 to get the final product. It's no surprise, then, that so many of his songs sound just as good when they are slowed down or sped up.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And now AFX slowed down

Here's the man himself playing a slower version of vordhosbn live

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
The Belgian Popcorn scene (sort of their equivalent of Northern Soul, but based around couples-dancing to midtempo records) does a lot of speed-adjustment, e.g.

Daniele Baldelli and the cosmic disco guys would play stuff at wild speeds, Depeche Mode at 33, Yellowman at 45:

I guess non-English-speaking audiences can tolerate more.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Seems like slowing down is much more popular than speeding up.

I can see why. It's chipmunk hell.
The quite obvious point occurs to me that a lot of electronic music (the sample based stuff, but also experimenting with oscillators etc.) is about speeding up and slowing and stretching and crushing sounds.

ANd ofc we all know the importance of DJs playing stuff "too fast" or "too slow" in genre birthing.

woops

is not like other people
And OFC varispeeding tape was used extensively by the beatles, gave rise to chorusing and phasing effects, that the mellotron sound comes from playing tape loops at different speeds a bit like the keygroups of later digital samplers, etc etc