ORIENTALISM

luka

a typology of effects is also what this thread is for.

photek.jpg
when we english people try and sit cross legged out thighs dont go nowhere near horiontal lol look at us

Benny Bunter

Feel like late 70z early 80s art pop is a good source for this stuff - Bowie, Eno, David Byrne, david Sylvian/Japan (obviously) Gabriel etc that kind of thing

luka

what is it you lot liked about orientalism how does it make you feel why is it so cool and magical and mystical do you think?

Benny Bunter

what is it you lot liked about orientalism how does it make you feel why is it so cool and magical and mystical do you think?
Funny isn't it, it's a negative term associated with colonialism and racism, but that outlook has produced of great art/music. I guess it's just a way out of the familiar 'western box' for the imagination to roam free. We don't really want the reality of what other cultures are like, we prefer our own ideas and stereotypes.

Benny Bunter

Is India and South East Asia included as orientalism? I suppose it is being used here as Asia (and Egypt) in general, but doesn't it have more strong connotations of China and Japan, middle east and places like that in its usage? Or perhaps that's changed, I don't know

It's negative term but exoticism generally isn't, which is also interesting.

luka

Is India and South East Asia included as orientalism? I suppose it is being used here as Asia (and Egypt) in general, but doesn't it have more strong connotations of China and Japan, middle east and places like that in its usage? Or perhaps that's changed, I don't know

It's negative term but exoticism generally isn't, which is also interesting.
@sufi you went to SOAS, help us out here!