luka

it's about something very fundamental indeed which is how you treat yourself and the conditions you engineer and why you might do that

luka

what effects you are trying to engineer, your system of priorities, your kinks and habits

version

luka

It's because William James says we need to nurture the martial virtues, exposing ourselves to something we don't like every day. But actually now I like it and I don't feel clean unless I do it

luka

Craner's just annoyed cos I trounced him so conclusively in this thread when he tried to undermine my authority but I don't mind I'm warm and cosy no one can disturb my equanimity

IdleRich

IdleRich
Comfort is extremely important to me. There was that debate we were having about whether or not a harsh desert planet would really create a race of super warriors... well, I can't say for sure, but I'm experimenting with the inverse question to that "Does living in unimaginably pampered comfort create a pathetically puny superwimp?" results are so far inconclusive but I am determined to keep on with the experiments until I have an answer.

Last edited:

Leo

ha! I took all sorts of shit here awhile back when I made fun of how so many houses over there have crap heating systems. perpetual cold and damp weather, people sitting in their living room in a zipped up fleece, runny nose, oh it's not bad, a cuppa will warm you up. yes, it must be a revelation when you turn on the heat like everyone else in the world does and live like a normal human.

version

"Yes, we became very wakeful; so much so that our recumbent position began to grow wearisome, and by little and little we found ourselves sitting up; the clothes well tucked around us, leaning against the headboard with our four knees drawn up close together, and our two noses bending over them, as if our knee-pans were warming-pans. We felt very nice and snug, the more so since it was so chilly out of doors; indeed out of bed-clothes too, seeing that there was no fire in the room. The more so, I say, because truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. But if, like Queequeg and me in the bed, the tip of your nose or the crown of your head be slightly chilled, why then, indeed, in the general consciousness you feel most delightfully and unmistakably warm. For this reason a sleeping apartment should never be furnished with a fire, which is one of the luxurious discomforts of the rich. For the height of this sort of deliciousness is to have nothing but the blankets between you and your snugness and the cold of the outer air. Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal."

-- Moby-Dick, Chapter 11: Nightgown

linebaugh

Hard to say where I stand on comfort because on one hand Ill spend 10 minutes moving lamps around to make sure the lighting is just right but on the other if you took my bed away Id probably sleep on the floor for months and I know this to be true because its already happened.